[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Iwasaki's on electronic ballasts

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Iwasaki's on electronic ballasts

Thought I'd pass this along for anyone concerned or considering using Iwasaki Halides for their tank.

I was able to confirm with a tech from the US HQ for Iwasaki HQ, it appears that the Advance H33 MV electronic ballast 78E4091 (F can) is 100% comparable in bulb performance and output as the standard H33/M59 magnetic ballasts (core and coil type). This is for the 400w Iwasaki Eye 6500K horizontal base bulbs. The ballasts should run a lot cooler and with less noise.

Just ordered 3 of them off eBay, so hopefully next week I'll have some great news to report.

Still researching the H37 & M57 MV electronic ballasts for the 250's, actually know of a pair of M57's that are en route now that we'll be testing in a couple of weeks.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

thats good to hear,too bad you alredy placed your order as i'm in the market for one of the 250w MV electronic ballast.

First Name
    Dave

The ANSI code for the 250's MV electronic ballasts are the same H37 as well, Advance part #72C3584.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Dave

Well good news, bad new and more good news.... the H33 ballasts I ordered (Advance 78E4091-001) are not the 'electronic' ballast as I expected, the part numbers do cross reference but these are the standard magnetic core and coil type, just in a fancy enclosure. The enclosure is partitioned off and the coil and capacitor are completely sealed in some sort of epoxy, should serve well to dampen the vibrations down anyhows and can be easily sealed to make water tight. The enclosures are rather large 11"x6.5"x4" with 1.5" tabs on the top and bottom for hanging them.

A little disappointed they are not quite what I expected, but they will fire our 400w Iwasaki's just the same... and for $25 a pop I'm not too disappointed. UPS says they weighed in at 29lbs each.

The actual part number for the Advance H33 MV electronic ballasts is 72C44083, guess I was trying to manage too many part numbers at once or something... But I'll be keepig an eye out for one to play with.

So look out critters, the sun is really going to start shining here shortly.
    Now lets see just how fast I can get that little wheel on the electric metter to spin, maybe she'll pop right off of there!

On another note the Advance 72C3584 ballasts arrived yesterday, I got a good look at them and they are in fact H37 Mercury Vapor Electronic ballasts, true F-can style. Big heavy critters too! Sirpat and I will be wiring and firing them up with 250w 'sak's in the next week or two for his 75g tank.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

take a look at these units if you get a chance...... advance 78E6381-001. These are similar I believe to what you bought but I like the fact that one of these will run two 400w bulbs. I am thinking of using these for the upcoming big tank upgrade. What do you guys think?
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

First Name
    Dave

Yes, similar enclosure as the ones I just got, the epoxy filled idea really looks to have some serious promise over the exposed core/coil type I'm running now, if your connections are all watertight you could probably dump a bucket of SW on it and not harm anything but the floor (not that I'd suggest trying it!!, but accidents do happen).

What bulbs are you considering? That ballast should fire just about any probe start bulb.

Do you got a link for an online retailer that carries the Advance 72C3584 H37 ballasts?

First Name
    Dave

I stumbled onto them on ebay, they were mislabled as M59 MH ballasts. But Google is only returning one valid retailer that *may* have them. The image for it is wrong but that's not too surprising...

http://www.wensco.com No prices listed, but you can call them direct @ 1-800-253-1569 for pricing and ordering.

Other than that and scouring ebay and such sources, maybe give the Advance regional sales office for your area for availability (http://www.advancetransformer.com/co...pe=distributor),
    that and/or I'd check with local electrical suppliers/wholesalers in your area and see if they have or can order them for you.

I have one shop that is sorta local to me who does only wholesale to contractors, but he'll order and sell me anything I want without a contractor's license, think if you can talk intelligently about stuff they figure you won't burn down your house and blame them. I can check with them if you want or strike out local, going to give him a ring about the H33 72C44083 ballasts just out of curiosity.

Really finding Advance's website to be a very valuable resource since their changes, info is much easier to find now.

In any event post anything you find out so we can compare notes.

First Name
    Dave

Default Fulham Ballasts

Double post but so what, Just as a side note Fulham is starting to bring electronic MH ballasts into their inventory, a couple of smallish ones right now <100 watts, stuff like the M98's for 70w bulbs. Maybe they'll expand in the future.

IMHO They are still a premium source for ballasts for all types of flourescents tubes.

I've used the Fulham(Workhorse5)ballasts for years now,never had a problem with them.I do like the way the IceCap660 overdrives my 39wT5's at around 63w,it also fires them in a different way than alot of the electronic flourescent ballasts.I get less blackening at the ends of the T5 bulbs on the 660 than with the WH5.Yiou would think it would be the opposite considering the Ic overdrives them.They do get a little hotter on the IC but that can be overcome with fans.A must for all flourscents if you want to preserve bulb life IMO.But for the price,you can't beat the Fulham.In 4 yrs of use,I havn't had one burn outl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last