[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LED for reminder

Bookmark and Share

Default LED for reminder

Okay, let me begin with this statement: I know nothing about electronics, so if something works once I'm done, I just start counting days to see how long it will last. *sigh*

Sometimes when I turn on my IceCap fans to cool the tank down, I forget and leave them running. I can't use the Aqua Controller II to turn them on and off because the x-10 technology burns up the DC power supplies. I only have to use them occasionally, but there are nights when I wonder why the tank is down to 79F or less. The IceCap fans are so quiet when running in the lowest mode, I don't hear them. Usually the next day I'll figure it out when the lights are on and I hear them spinning at warp speed.

So, I wanted to add a LED to just give me a clue if they are running. That way when I walk by at 3am, I'd have an indicator to remind me to shut them off if necessary. I asked some DFWMAS members for some help, and Russ talked me through it. Thanks to Russ' help, I have a working LED now. Here are all the pictures.

First of all, let me tell you it is SO easy to blow out an LED, I can't believe it. Russ was helping me ascertain which side was the positive side on a 9v battery. Sounds simple, right? It turned on for a split second and that was the end of that $1.49 LED. My fault, since I wasn't using the resistor during the test.

Okay, so here are my parts. The resistors and two LEDs were under $5 from Radio Shack. Take note, I was told to use a 600 Ohm resistor, but they didn't have them so I got 680. I figured the bulb would be a tad dimmer as it wouldn't get as much juice. I was right.

resistors - LED for reminder

The LEDs weren't 3.3V as recommended either. They were 1.7V, but I was told the more important part was 20mA anyway.
    leds - LED for reminder

led oo - LED for reminder

I got out my tools. Soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, etc.
    soldering iron - LED for reminder

solder area - LED for reminder

resistor - LED for reminder

I have a feeling if you leave the soldering iron on the LED too long, you'll send too much heat up the diode's wire and cook it. I tried to work fast, and it was a tad sloppy. Here's the first solder, connecting the 680 Ohm resistor to the positive side of the LED.
    solder resistor - LED for reminder

Then I connected the other end of the resistor to the positive wire going to the power supply.
    led solder1 - LED for reminder
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Continued...

Soldering on the other side, quickly yet again.
    led solder - LED for reminder

Then I connected the other end of the resistor to the positive wire going to the power supply.
    led solder1 - LED for reminder

Soldering on the other side, quickly yet again.
    led solder - LED for reminder

Quick test.
    led test - LED for reminder

Next, I used a candle's flame to shrink the tubing over the soldered connections. Just keep it moving over the flame, never too long in one spot.
    led heatshrink2 - LED for reminder

led heatshrink3 - LED for reminder

Once done, I had to drill a hole in the fan bracket to hold the LED in position. This is an older bracket I made a long time ago, back when looks didn't count. The LED is clear, so it is almost invisible in this image, facing directly at the viewer.
    led in fan oo - LED for reminder

fan bracket f - LED for reminder

From the backside.
    led installed back - LED for reminder
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Conclusion...

fan bracket b - LED for reminder

The power supplies are a mess, but it is what it is. One runs one fan, and the other runs the fan with the new LED.
    power supplies - LED for reminder

The power supplies are a mess, but it is what it is. One runs one fan, and the other runs the fan with the new LED.
    power supplies - LED for reminder

And turned on.
    led in fan0 - LED for reminder

led in fan1 - LED for reminder

Done!
    fan bracket - LED for reminder
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

nicly done ... marc if you dont mine drop in my thread and tell me what you think since the last time you where there .. fourm diy ...55 from the start

thanks
    :: hummer :nemo

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Nice addition Marc....

BTW I still have a couple hundred super bright (10,000mcd) blue LED's hanging around that need a good home if you want do do some more soldering...and really brighten up some things...

LED's for sale
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

you said you noticed it when your tank was running at 79 or less. What temperature do you keep your tank at?

Quote Originally Posted by pass1over View Post
    you said you noticed it when your tank was running at 79 or less. What temperature do you keep your tank at?
    My tank's heater comes on at 79F and turns off at 79.5F I prefer to keep my tank around 80-81F daily, but the winter is a bit tougher to keep it steady. I've had it down to 78.3F lately, as well as up to 82F today.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef