[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Looking for tips on working with acrylic

Bookmark and Share
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Looking for tips on working with acrylic

I'd like to do a few DIY projects with plexiglass (from Home Depot) but would like them to have smooth edges.

First question: I have three tool for cutting at my disposal (circular saw, jig saw and dremel). Which is best and what type of blade should I use?

Second question: How do I finish the cut edges? Is sanding the way to do this? If so, what grit should I use? Hand sanding or orbital?

Third question: What do I use to bond pieces together? I understand that Weldon is difficult to obtain. Is there a readily available alternative?

Just to be clear I will not be building tanks or anything that requires high grade acrylic.

Thank you for your help.

Tom

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I find the best way to cut is with a metal straight edge and a scoring knife made for acrylic or plastic.
    Score the piece over and over again until it just snaps gently in your hands.
    You can pick up a finishing knife or scraper at the plastic supply store with the scoring knife and Weldron. Sand paper works really well too.

If you can't find any of these tools close to you, there is a plastic supply near by to my house I would be happy to go buy the supplies and mail them to you.

I've done multiple DIY fabrication project recently and it is alot of fun and easy with the right tools!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Here is a good site for some tips....

http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html

Here is where I get alot of my supplies

http://www.soltisplastics.com/
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

It is worth noting that the plexi glass at HD and the acrylic Melve is working with are 2 different things. They will require different techniques and solvents. They will also react differently to certain techniques.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I have cut with a band saw with nice results, just go REALLY SLOW, or it will heat up and melt back together and look like crap. You could sand and flame polish the edges if you needed it to look really nice, just practice on some scraps first.

Weldon can be found online as a last resort.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Thanks for the input everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    It is worth noting that the plexi glass at HD and the acrylic Melve is working with are 2 different things. They will require different techniques and solvents. They will also react differently to certain techniques.
    ^That's a total tease. How about some details...