[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LR Racks for the 400 gallon

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Default LR Racks for the 400 gallon

Well this is what I have been talking about. I wanted to build racks to set the LR on in the new tank. I have been researching this for a while and have found this to have a lot of benefits. it gives more freedom for aquascaping you get more vertical with less rock. It gives good hiding for the fish as well. And the PVC will act as a nursery for pods and anotherthing to be quite important also is cryptic sponges which I have found out are very very good filters in tanks.
    I used 3/4" PVC for the racks. And expansion foam to go over the PVC when put together, the foam will expand and give texture to the rack. And the epoxy is to go over the foam once its cured, this will keep the foam from breaking down and also when the resin is drying (which only takes 5 minutes) you put sand on it so the sand adheres in the resin and gives a more natural look.
    Over time when the tank matures the pvc will take on coraline algae and other natual growth and before too long you will not be able to tell the pvc from the LR.
    fulltankshot 1 - LR Racks for the 400 gallon

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

LOOKIN SWEET!!!! BTW Greg is that YOUR lifestyle magazine on the endtable there...LOL.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

First Name
    Greg

Nooo that is the wifes, whenever I go to lowes or home depot to spend money she get to get her GOSSIP magazines so she can keep up with who is doing who and who is getting divorced and what not!!!!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

OK I didn't take you for the girly kind of man but hey ya never know.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

hey i like this idea was thinking of doing somthing like that myself no i lnow its for yer 400 gal .........but what i was wondering is how much rock goes on it? 1 large rock is there gonna be a grating and shelf to this stand? where as ya put more rock on it and just so i understand right you spray the foam on then is that a spray epoxy? that you put over top of it also is the foam 100% dried (cured)? befor the epoxy?

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Looking good Greg. That should work great. Another option would be the black pond foam in place of the yellow foam/epoxy.

First Name
    Greg

Rhapala, the rack should be pretty stable, I set a bucket of salt on it and it help it no problem. You want to let the foam set for a day before you put the resin on. you then put the resin on and quickly after that put the sand in the resin. you want to then let the whole thing set for a couple of days so the foam become inert.
    Shad, I tried to get the black pond foam but its seasonal and they were out. but this will look nice when it starts to get growth on it. I will keep pics coming as it matures with growth.

as i said i like this and may make a few mini stands you also said they are good for pod growth? how so?

And the PVC will act as a nursery for pods and anotherthing to be quite important also is cryptic sponges which I have found out are very very good filters in tanks. i'm still learning about the pods and what they do ...... i understand they are a food ....

First Name
    Greg

well I drilled small holes in the PVC. what this does is it allows the pods to use the inside of the PVC for housing, this gives them a safe refuge for them to repopulate. Also with the sponges, sponges need a dark low flow place to flourish.

the size of the tubing matter for this? canm i use 1/2 inch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last