[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My DIY surface filter

Bookmark and Share

Default My DIY surface filter

So I was looking for a way to get rid of some surface scum from my 20L that doesn't have a sump. My sister gave me some stuff that she had laying around for her betta tanks, and I decided to play with some of it.

One of the items that she gave me was a little Whisper filter. There's a small powerhead that was attached to the bottom and pumped water into the filter and up and through the filter material.

surface filter1 - My DIY surface filter

I decided to reverse the flow and pull water DOWN through the filter and through the bottom. I had some goofy pump parts laying around and I rigged it so that instead of the little pump pushing water in the bottom and through the filter and out the top, a spare maxi-jet draws water in through the top and then out the bottom of the filter housing.

surface filter2 - My DIY surface filter

Here's a shot from the back...

surface filter3 - My DIY surface filter

Seems to be doing a pretty good job so far!

Later,
    Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

hmmmm... very nifty.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

good DIY Eric,Alot of people with nano's could makes use of something like that.BTW,what are u useing to filter/remove the scum(carbon?)

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Neat idea! We have 3 or 4 of those silly little filters arond here somewhere.
    BTW what did you use to mate the MJ to the filter?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I had some weird fitting laying around in my garage. I was going to just use some flexible tubing (which would work fine) but I found something that appeared to be from one of my old pumps which worked.

Right now it's just the filter cartridge in there that has some carbon in it. The surface of the water is a lot better now. I'm hoping that in a couple days it will be crystal clear.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.