[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My DIY T5HO fixture

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    TM01 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Todd
    Awards Tank of the Month Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default My DIY T5HO fixture

I had managed to get my hands on one of those black acrylic tops used on the breeder systems that we have all seen in stores. It was in flawless condition and I just couldnt resist not building myself a cool frag tank light from it.

P1010024 - My DIY T5HO fixture

Prior to all this..I had purchased a brand new IceCap 660 ballast and a 48" T5 retro kit from DIY Reef (during there going out of business sale) and after laying everything out, I drilled 2 holes that will later be used to attach the retro kit to the inside (shown on left of pic). I also chamfered these out so that when the screws are installed they would sit flush to the top. I then drilled three .75 dia holes that would allow any heat to escape. I did this on each end.

P1010029 - My DIY T5HO fixture

I cut two 2X4's that would fit on the inside. These will be used to attach the retro kit to the acrylic top. I then attached them to the bottom of the retro using 1" screws and the provided mounting locations. I also attached my 660 ballast to the same side by using some really short sheet metal screws. To keep the powercord or wires from ever rubbing through I applied a couple long strips of black tape to the retro's exposed sharp edges. I was very careful in making sure that everything stayed as centered as possible. That way (with any luck) it will hang correctly and not be off balance.

P1010031 - My DIY T5HO fixture

Now that everything is mounted to the inside of the retro nothing but the powercord will be exposed.

P1010030 - My DIY T5HO fixture

I decided to drill a 1" dia hole in the back to allow the cord to exit. Now all I had to do was drop the retro in and install four 1" long stainless screws from the top to attach the retro to the inside (using the holes that I drilled in step 1).

P1010032 - My DIY T5HO fixture

I began by cutting the holes in the sides where the fans will be placed. The fans are 4"..and I had nothing to cut a hole that large (doh!)..so I ended up having to use my 2.5 hole saw, cutting the first hole out of the center, then taking chunks out untill the hole was large enough. As you can see..I made a few scratches...but once the fans are installed you will never see them.

P1010001 1 - My DIY T5HO fixture

Ive had these fans sitting around for some time now. I hooked them up and tested them out and found out that they still work really well. So, I gave them a good scrub, let em dry, and shot them with some high gloss rustolium black paint. I plan on mounting them so that they draw air from around the endcaps in a effort to keep them cool and increase the bulb life.

P1010006 - My DIY T5HO fixture

While the fans were drying I made the wiring harness for them. One lead will go to each fan.

P1010014 - My DIY T5HO fixture

I also twisted up each lead to make a nice clean install.

P1010016 - My DIY T5HO fixture

For hanging..I went to Pruess Pets and got a cheap Tek hanging kit (Thanks Steve!) and then installed some eye bolts into the 2x4 inside the fixture. I decided to use chain instead of the cable that the kit came with since I like being able to raise and lower the light by just rehooking the chain at what ever level I want.

P1010004 - My DIY T5HO fixture

And here it is.....UP AND RUNNING! Im very happy with it.

P1010002 2 - My DIY T5HO fixture

Here is a breakdown of my total cost...

Black Acrylic fixture: I bought a whole breeder unit for $90 and this piece was the top. I used some of the other sections for awhile then sold them for a total of $95..so it turned out Im $5 ahead here.

IceCap Retro Unit: $155 - Purchased new at DIY Reefs going out of business sale. (Included caps & reflectors)

IceCap 660 Ballast: $109 - Purchased new at DIY Reefs going out of business sale. (Included harness and powercord)

(2) 4" fans - Free from a buddy shutting down his tank 2yrs ago

Tek Hanging Kit - .60 cents - It was $10.60..but I had a $10 coupon.

Odds & Ends - $12 - Some 2" Screws, Black Paint, Ceiling Hooks, Chain

Bulbs - I was running in my prior unit and were just purchased 2 months ago.

Total Cost: $271.60
    "The price of beauty is never quick or cheap."

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Great looking project.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Looks sweet, did you polish the metal used as the reflector?? If not it might make a good "DIY upgrade" project for the next bulb change.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

First Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22 View Post
    Looks sweet, did you polish the metal used as the reflector?? If not it might make a good "DIY upgrade" project for the next bulb change.
    I didnt need too...the IceCap Retro I used came with individual SLR Reflectors.

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

Nice DYI fixture..looks like you did everything right..just curious the top came with the breeder tank...never seen one before.

Rick

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Very very cool you should be happy with that project!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger61 View Post
    Nice DYI fixture..looks like you did everything right..just curious the top came with the breeder tank...never seen one before.

Rick
    Thanks Rick.

Here is a pic of the breeder system I spoke of. Im sure you have seen one of these.

P1010015 6 - My DIY T5HO fixture

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

You made this look so easy to me!!! Not that I'm personally ready to do it yet but if and when I am~I'll remember this thread. I like the cost factor!!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TM01 View Post
    I didnt need too...the IceCap Retro I used came with individual SLR Reflectors.
    Had I looked through he open fan hole better I would have seen them, sweeter deal yet!!

The "top" you used is just acrylic correct?
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

First Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22 View Post
    Had I looked through he open fan hole better I would have seen them, sweeter deal yet!!

The "top" you used is just acrylic correct?
    Yep..just acrylic. Its pretty thick too. Im guessing a solid 1/4". You can see how thick it is in the pics where I drilled the holes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last