[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My First Led build

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette Reefer View Post
    The whole structure it is being built on a aluminum case so the who thing acts as a heat sink and i will be getting a fan to blow over the leds to help and maybe ill add the little heat sink i have and put it in the middle on top of it once i build it and see how hot it gets.
    As for the led heat transfer, im going to solder them with aluminum type stuff so it will transfer heat very good. And the leds color im just experimenting, i have read that the cool white wash out corals but i want the power from them, and im just gona do tests and see how i like the color, i cant change any colors now cuz i already ordered them, but im hoppppping it should be appealing to me
    First thing don't get me wrong I am not trying to discourage you, I just know what you are going to do will over heat the LED's and that is a wast of good LED's. After you do this and over heat them they will no longer be good for use on a aquarium even though they will still light up they will no longer be capable of producing the PAR that you need.
    You already have about $60 in Led's it would only cost about $15 for the thermal conductive grease or adhesive and a heat sink isn't that much more. The best thing you can do is just wait until you can get the things to do it so it will work and last.
    As for a heat sink I have some square tubing you could have to put together and make one, I don't know how big you aer thinking but I think their is enough to do what you will need.
    Think about it, I just hate to see you fry those LED's.

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

The aluminum is about pretty skin but its still pretty think not 1/4 inch maybe 1/8 inch but its 24 inches long and 4 inches wide, i got a fan to blow on top of the leds to keep them cool and a small about 3"x3" heat sink i could put on top...do you think thats good to keep down the heat.. yeah i know what ur saying id hattteee to kill the leds, but i would guess with the size of my aluminum case that it would keep it koool right? i got some pictures of everything i got so ill add those pictures of my actual stuff. Acually i could maybe use that tubing to lift the leds out of the cave they are in so the light is wider tho, and it would help even more with heat.
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

I'd be interested to see images. One of the biggest perks that got me into LEDs is the fact that they can last five years plus without having to be replaced, but only if their heat is properly managed.

First Name
    Jim

I guess the question that needs to be asked is, how big of a fan are you planing on using? If you are thinking of a 4 inch computer fan it will not be enough a couple of 6 inch house fans might give you enough CFM maybe. When you just blow air across instead of through something it is not as efficient.

well i guess ill have to get a bigger fan cuz the one i got now is small. whatelse can i do to keep it cooler? i dont have money to keep putting into this, and i gota ship my light out i sold soon.

I hate to say it again, but you're going to lose all the money you put into this when the LED's blow. Just put the $15 into a heatsink from heatsink USA and you'll have an awesome light that will last you for years. Then you won't need to buy a new fan.
    Last edited by Mr. Microscope; 05-19-2011 at 04:59 PM.

would this work? Name:  random.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  38.3 KB

First Name
    Jim

What you are supposed to do is attach the Led's directly to the heat sink. It is the only way to keep them cooled properly. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but you need to do it rite or it will fail.

In short, no. It especially will not pull any heat away from the LEDs mounted towards the ends. Here's a suggestion to get you by. How big is that heatsink? Is there enough room for five LEDs on it? Take a warm white and surround it by four royal blues and use it as a spot light for your tank. Trust me, that color combo will make your corals look like a disney cartoon with ridiculous color. If that's too crazy, maybe try two cool whites and three royal blues. Then, when you have enough money to get a properly sized heatsink for your casing you can reuse those LEDs.

One of my concerns with your original layout is the spacing of the LEDs. This solution will make for better color blending and less spotlighting. LED's don't need to go from one end of your tank to the other like a T5. Think of it more like a pendant and can cover a larger area. Two inches is really the maximum distance that you want LEDs from one another or your tank will look like a disco ball of colors and color shadows. That is another reason you need proper heatsinking. The closer together the LEDs, the more heat they produce. These 3W LEDs are no joke. They put out a lot of light and get extremely hot.
    Last edited by Mr. Microscope; 05-19-2011 at 05:24 PM.

only the 4 lights in the center have optics the rest have a140 degree angle which has been measured and light coverage should be fine, But i dont understand how the heat sink will not work on top, it would sandwhich the leds, the fixture im mounting the leds to is AL, so its gona transfer fine im pretty sure, evil said its best to sandwich the base between the led's and heat sinks...so im pretty sure it would work but would be better if i got 2 more to go on oppiste sides too, so 3 totaly, that heat sinks only 3x3 btw

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last