[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

my new LPS reef/project log

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

I think that design will work good on my tank. Does that overflow work good?

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Will,these are the most efficent/effective overlfows there are IMO.By haveing 36 linear" of overflow[dual tower overflows useing a 6x6 corner configuration(many are smaller than that) only give you 24"],it skims a very thin layer of water from the surface where the concentration of organics is concentrated.This style of overflow is also very quiet.By having your overflow on the top,it allows for better water flow around the bottom of the tank.This is achieved by proper aquscaping by leaving at least a couple inches betwee the back/sides of the tank and your rock/aquascape.

Default finally the tank gets wet

OK,Its been 7 months since i first posted this thread about setting this tank up.Its not that i'm lazy,as Reptoreef put it "just extremely patient"LOL.There was alot of litttle setbacks along the way.First of all,I built the horizontal glass overflow useing the dimensions without the bulkheads installed,obviously the BH'ds take up an additional 1" so i had to rebuild the overflow again.When i started plumbing things,3 out of the 4 bulkheads were machined to small.Fortunately,the LFS where i got them from exchanged them back so i didn't have to mail order new ones.The only location i had in my house to put the tank was extremely off level.One end of the tank was approximately 3/4 lower than the other end,and my tank is only 4' long.I thought i had it leveled but didn't account for the compression of the wooden shims so i ended up having to drain it and start over again.Then as i filled it up past the bulkheads,I noticed the closed loop plumbing was leaking.Since i used unions at the bulkhead and the pump it was easy to remove and fix.Seems i forgot to glue a couple of the 1" PVC fittings,DUHHHH.The tank is now filled,the 1/2" starboard bottom is installed,and i have about 35lbs of base/LR in it.I'm trying to locate some Tonga branch LR from LFS right now so i can start with the aquascaping.The only thing i have left to do now,Is install the 4x54wT5 lighting in my canopy and to plumb the return manifold to the output of the closed loop pump.I'm useing a rubbermaid tub as a temporary sump while the tank matures for the next few months.I will then switch to a dual sump setup(actually 3 if you include the RDSB)because my stand/cabinet has a middle divider.
    Pics to come soon

Pics of the plumbing to follow.This has been by far,the most difficult(not really difficult,just time consuming)plumbing i have done for a tank.It wouldn't of been so bad if the stupid MAG pumps had the proper size intake/outputs.They decided to use 3/4" intake/outputs on the pump.To make it worse,they used internal threads on the intake.There was no way i would of been able to feed that pump with 1500gph useing a retricted intake like that.MAG did supply a collar that fits on the outside of the intake,it just so happens that that collar fit snugly into a 1 1/4" piece of thinwall PVC(actually measures 1.5" ID).So i glued the collar into a short length of pipe,at the end of the pipe i installed a 1 1/4" T where the 2-1" feeds from the bulkheads are plumbed into.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Looking good. Thanks for the update.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

David, looking good, your right you do have a ton of pipe behind that baby. cant wait to see it stocked. thanks for the update
    fulltankshot 1 - my new LPS reef/project log

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

looking good Dave

wish i had time to get more done to my 75 iv got almost everything i need together
    just need some time
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

It's about time she gets wet! Plumbing looks nice and clean, nice job.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Ok guys/gals,I can now confirm that these horizontal overflows are the best i've ever used.Not only are they completely quiet,but the surface of the water is like a sheet of glass,perfectly slick.As Dakar suggested,I didn't drill a vent hole in the caps on the durso/PVC T fitting behind the bulkheads.These vents are typically used in corner/tower overflows to prevent gurgling/flushing in the standpipe but they also are prone to salt creep because of the holes.Even without ball valves to regulate the flow from the overflows bulkheads there isn't any surging/flushing going on in the overflow/plumbing/sump.I did do something a little different with my plumbing into the sump.Both 1" feeds from the overflow are submerged below the water level of the sump.This would normally cause excess air/surging in the sump.What i decided to do was use T fittings instead of elbows to direct the PVC plumbing into the sump.By leaving the top of the T's open,It serves as a vent for the air to escape.
    More pics to come soon

The lighting is installed finally.I went with a 4x54w T5 setup overdriven on an IceCap660 ballast to 83w.From front to back,my bulb setup is this.1 CVact(450nmblue),1 aquablue(11k),1 CVactinic,1 G.E. 6500k.Currently,the overall look of the tank is similiar to 13k.Its just a bit too blue for my taste.I'm gonna reposition the bulbs placing the GE up front,then actinic,aquablue,and actinic in the back.This should give me more of an 11-12k look.It will probably still be a bit too blue so i might swap out one of the actinics for another GE bulb.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last