[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

my new LPS reef/project log

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here's a really bad updated pic.I got my aquascape 95% completed.The dead Pocillopora skeleton wieghs about 18lbs.I bought 13lbs of dead base rock.I added about 20lbs or LR from my old tank.And i recently added 13lbs or Fiji and Kaelini(spelling?).That puts me at 64lbs.I'm still looking for a long piece of Tonga branch LR then my aquascape will be complete.While the tank matures,I decided the T5's would be too much light so i removed my canopy.I'm currently just useing 3x40w NO flourscents.As of now,the only livestock in the tank is 3 Caribbean Rose brains(Manicina areolata),1 Pagoda cup(Turbinaria peltata),
    Protopalythoa sp.(zoa polyps) that hitchiked in(they're on the same LR as the cup coral),and some zoa's(Zoanthus spp.)that i thought i removed from my old tank.Turns out,a few polyps survived on the LR and are multiplying.Looks like i'll be trading that piece of LR in for another piece with no corals.The tank never really had a cycle,probably due to the well established LR and no nutrient import.The ASM G2 skimmer i'm sure helped as well.Over the last week,I've been spot feeding my Rose brains with a mix of mysis and Golden pearls.This first nutrient import had no effect on my Nitrogen levels but my G2 is now pulling out some nasty sludge.Moday,I will add my cleanup crew(astreas,Turbos,and cerith snails)as diatom/turf algae are now starting to appear.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Lookin good Dave. Thanks for the update.

Another tank pic for you as well as a closeup of some of the hitchiker polyps.

Last week,the tank had a little setback.I added a remote DSB in the sump.The flow rate through it was too much and sand was spilling over into my sump.The sump pump sucked it up and it died on me.I refuse to pay LFS prices for a return
    pump so i had to order a new impeller for this one.The mean time,all i had for circulation was a pair of 200gph powerheads,LOL.The lack of current and no sump loop/skimmer caused a little algae bloom.After 5 days,I finally was able to borrow a friends return pump while i wait for my impeller.Its been a few days now and the tank is starting to recover.I added some more corals so i figured it was time to throw the 4x54wT5 canopy back on.I'll get an updated pic posted soon.

Here's a bad pic i just took.My digicam can't do accurate pics under blue light without the flash.

Dave what is htat hanging in the corners of your tank?

those are those little powerheads i was useing when my sump pump died.I still havn't finshed plumbing the return manifold to the closed loop pumps output.Should get that done tommorow then there will be no powerheads in the tank at all.The return manifold has 6 outputs so that with my sump return should do the trick

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Dave,

Even though you had an algea outbreak the tank looks real good to me. I like your layout. Real open and you only have a few points of contact. I definately need to talk to you some more to get me a bigger tank started and do a little diy projects to save me some money.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

Well,the tank is almost 4 months old now so i figured it was time to add my first fish.I moved my Tomato Clown pair out of my 40 and into the 75.The female is my oldest fish,she's 4.5yrs old now.The little male is about 2yrs old.They are loving there new home.The tank is progressing nicely,its nearly 80%stocked with stoney corals now.Pics to come soon.

nice can't wait for new pics. this tank is sweet.
    ADAM

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last