[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Need help designing/building LED solution?

Bookmark and Share
    RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

Default Need help designing/building LED solution?

So, as this is a DIY forum, I thought I'd offer my assistance. I don't want anything in return, nothing. Zip.

I have some discounts on heatsinks, I have access to a fabrication lab (The biggest bonus is a Bridgeport upright mill), and I get discounts on multi-chip LEDs. I really just enjoy helping other people. If you're thinking about making the switch, I can lend a hand. My tank is a 180 (6'X2'X2') completely LED-driven.

I am not offering a trade, or a per-hour rate. Just Post here, or PM me with your specs, and what types of coral you need to light, and I'll design up a solution for you. If you want to move forward, I can get quotes for you, and even get you in touch with a supplier that ships very quickly (I ordered from China on a Tuesday, and the LEDs were here on a Friday).

Here is my 180 lit by three LED arrays at 100W per array (300 total, when at 100% intensity). The design uses a FEZ panda II and a TLC5940 chip to drive each LED individually. The power supply is 24V, 14.6A and drives them all). This picture is at 50% intensity, so I am lighting a full 180 with 150 watts. My lighting is in a state of evolution. I've learned a lot from my design and implementation. The wiring is being modified to a 10-conductor single wire per array with a quick-disconnect. I am more or less beta-testing my LED arrays, so that I can build more efficient and better arrays in the future.

IMG 0146 1 - Need help designing/building LED solution?

Array1 - Need help designing/building LED solution?

Array2 - Need help designing/building LED solution?

Array3 - Need help designing/building LED solution?

IMG 0162 1 - Need help designing/building LED solution?

Jim, If this is the wrong place for this, Sorry, please move it. It's not a trade offer, and I am certainly not selling anything, so I didn't know where to put it.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Now that's what reefing's about ! Way to go reefer ,first class act !

CR Member

RedfordReefer I sent you a PM last week asking for you assistance with a DIY LED system I'm looking into doing.
    Never got a response.

CR Member

Very awesome of you to offer this level of help. I have a 37 gallon tank 30X13X22 and am planning on corals with low to moderate alight and flow. I love DIY and any help you can provide would be welcome