[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Need suggestion on stand/canopy build

Bookmark and Share
    cubereefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Question Need suggestion on stand/canopy build

My tank is 30x30x30 5/8' thick glass (120 gal). I'd like to put a glass top on it to filter the U/V from the lighting, but a 30x30 sheet is expensive to have made. (I have a retrofit lighting set-up of 2 250w 10K bulbs, the traditional tube lights, fans, balasts, etc). I'll be using a 30 gal., 3 chamber sump consisting of intake/skimmer, refugium, then pumped up to tank.

Questions:

1) Does anybody have a suggestion for, or pictures of, an existing set-up where the halides are covered by glass (either each bulb protected separately or one-piece glass top)? I'm trying to avoid water-splashing-glass-breaking-finger cutting-cursing because I cut my finger-problems. 30x30 sheets of tempured glass for a glass-top are expensive, so another solution would be great.

2) I have a 3/4hp chiller with the drop-in chilling coil. I'd like to put the motor under the tank. I would, of course, build in a separate compartment with an intake & exhause SEPARATE from the sump/refugium to avoid unnecessary heating of the sump-water. Would this idea be OK since I would separate the compartment, or would having the motor outside of the stand be necessary no matter what? Maybe some suggestions on where you put your chiller-motor in regards to your tank.

3) Can balasts be placed under the tank in a closed stand? Or should they be left outside the stand for proper cooling/air-flow (I have huge 5" holes drilled in the back panels of the stand for air ventaliation. I can also build in a separate compartment w/ intake/exhause similar to the chiller-motor).

ANY other suggestions would be great. I'm at the beginning of the build, have NOT done plumbing yet, so any suggestions helpful to avoid any headaches down the road would be appreciated.

This tank is going to be a fun beast....a 3/4 ton cube of ocean in my living room. How fun is that!!!

cubereefer

Default Build comming along...

I've completed the basic framing for the stand and canopy. Now I just have to build my motor and balast compartments into the stand, and skin it. I'm thinking of use Birch, stained dark, dark mohoganey (almost black), then a few coats of poly. The dark-mohagany stain on the light birch-wood should look really nice in a dark room with the tank lit.

Here's some pics of where I'm at so far...Any suggestions are welcome.
    Good times to be had by all...all responsible for sharing good times...

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

congrats on the build should be fun. on the cover for the tank. I would not cover the tank its self. you want and open top on the tank for gas exchange.

and your ballast will create definite heat if you can wire some fans that would really help or the clip on variety are fine too.

but looks like your well on your way. keep us posted.
    fulltankshot 1 - Need suggestion on stand/canopy build

ereefic - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hey Cubereefer, we have a 36x36x25 cube. Here's a few pics of how I did the stand and canopy. We originally had a sump under the tank in the stand, but eventually moved it to the basement. It was just to cramped under there for my liking. But the stand was designed to hold a sump underneath.

The canopy was designed to be able to get in the tank from all three sides. This might give you some ideas.

As far as the glass for the lights, if your running single ended bulbs you really don't need glass, and if your running double ended bulbs,most likely a glass shield came with your setup. In both those situations, the sheilding is built in.

Venting the chiller should be fine, provided the unit itself doesn't get hot enough to transfer to the tank. Never ran a chiller myself though.

Ballast can stay under the stand, but might want to put them up so if you do get a leak, they won't be sitting in water. Different types of ballasts put out different heat. If it does heat up the tank, they shouldn't be hard to relocate if needed.

Here are some pics of the stand and canopy for our cube.

IMG 3902Medium - Need suggestion on stand/canopy build
    IMG 3901Medium - Need suggestion on stand/canopy build
    IMG 3905Medium - Need suggestion on stand/canopy build
    IMG 3903Medium - Need suggestion on stand/canopy build

thanks, that help a lot. I've come a lot further along with the build so far...I'll take some upadated pics within the next few days. I have the back vented similar to yours. The heat exchange should be minimal, so thanks for the confirmation. nice work on the stand...the height of my stand is 38 inches, and the height of my sump is 20...hopefully I won' t have the cramping problem. I live in San Diego, so a basement is not an option unfortunately. Thanks again...I'll keep you posted.

J

Do you have any pics of your tank? I'm anxious to see a non-walkaround cube setup. My overflow is back-corner, so I'll only have 2 sides of access instead of 3. I'm building the 2 access-sides of the canopy with cubboards as well...the top will also hinge open to access the lights for changing and allow enough room to maniuplate and chisle my rock over time. thanks again...

J

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have a 36x24x24 Semi-Cube

You are more than welcome to stop by and check it out sometime, I am in the process of taking it down since I am upgrading to a 240g in the nest month or so.

LMK,
    Ivan
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.