[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY sump/ refugium

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default DIY sump/ refugium

Hey guys, I have a 75G reef and I was wanting to build a nice refugium/ sump for it. Currently, I just have a rubbermaid container under there holding a skimmer and a return pump. Would a 20G long tank be large enough to use as a sump/ref?? Can you guys post some pics of your sumps so I can get some ideas on what to do. Thanks!!

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

I used a 30 gallon. Pics in my vb libary. Only changes I would make now is.
    1 Max dept of my scimmer is 8" I went above and get a few too many microbubbles on the referum plant section.
    2 I would put 3 plates to make water go up doun then up to break up those micro bubbles.
    3 I may change my set up to put the skimmer in its own sump with a bit of rock I think. But as I have no more room under the tank I will have to add a cabinet next to the tank to house it and then port water back into the referum. Which I was thinking of doing anyway for a water cooler. But If I do that I will have to figure out how not to add more heat to the tank as the sump/PS and the ac would be in the same cabinet. *Sigh* Why do I always have to reinvent the wheel at every step?
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

i use a 29g, i posted some pics here a couple weeks back
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

This might be a good one to copy:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

CR Member

Thanks for the info! However, no one has really said if the 20L will be enough for a 75g tank. will it be ok or should I opt for something bigger? Thanks!

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

It is written in stone here somewhere. Largest you can fit! And lets face it, any is better than nothing
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!