[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Stand for new equipment

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Default New Stand for new equipment

So, I've been having some issues with my current set up. Some of them are my fault. Since I've had some challenges, I've decided to reconfigure things a bit. I'm keeping the current tank (rimless 40b-ish footprint) and lighting (ATI sunpower 6x39W) for the time being. I've decided that the current system lacks adequate sump capacity so I ordered a trigger systems Ruby 30E sump. I've also decided that I need a new stand since my current one is not flexible, nor of adequate size for what I need.

I started the stand build Sunday. I'll post pics asap. Footprint of the stand is 48" x 30". I made the stand 40" high because I like shallow tanks and can still enjoy the tank either sitting or standing given it's location. While the footprint is much larger than that of the tank, it gives me size for a future upgrade (42" x 24" x 16) as well as adequate space to create a "dry" area for electrical equipment.

I'm not yet set on the finish materials for the stand. Right now, I'm thinking of finishing it with curled or birds eye maple trimmed out with black walnut. It's going to contrast a bit with the furniture in the room where the tank goes, but it would look very nice. The other option is a brazillian cherry with black walnut trim. Hope to sort that out in a week or 2.
    Pics tomorrow.

Your current setup is nice are you keeping it in the same place or moving it to a new location?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Brazilian Cherry all the way!! Sweet grain!! That's my vote

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dmmz View Post
    Your current setup is nice are you keeping it in the same place or moving it to a new location?
    Thanks! I'm keeping the location as is, just changing things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Brazilian Cherry all the way!! Sweet grain!! That's my vote
    I love that stuff, too! I like the idea of trimming it with black walnut, too. I'm fighting with myself on this though. I really do like the curled maple.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Name:  20140917_204101_resized_1.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  22.8 KBName:  20140917_204125_resized_1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  67.4 KBName:  20140917_204137_resized_1.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  58.5 KBSo, here's the status of the stand right now.

I picked up a Kreg jig and built the top and bottom using the pocket screws. Worked like a champ. The intent is to use 3/4" sanded plywood on the top and bottom. I'll run some 1x4 around the inside of the bottom. Then, I'm going to seal it all in with a good alcohol based primer and caulk all the joints. Then, I'll paint it with epoxy to keep it waterproof. The 1x4 is going to be used to create a basin in the event of a leak.

More to follow......
    Likes binford4000 liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Why not use both?? And trim with the black walnut. The curled maple would POP if staggered properly with the Cherry.You could do a nice patern with both on your sides or doors. If you don't mind me asking. Where did you find black walnut trim. I have been looking high and low for it. That is what I want to finish my stand with also! Love that wood. It's just awesome looking!

Just an idea for ya,I used that spray on rubber seal on my stands base on the inside.Worked fantastic when I forgot to plug in the 3/8 line to my reactors when I first fired up the returns. Man those water blaster 5000's push some water! Lol sure was glad I sealed the base that day!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Name:  20140917_204039_resized_1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  86.3 KBName:  20140917_204052_resized_1.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  33.2 KB

And, here is the sump.......

I ordered this thing because the Trigger Systems site said it had an adjustable water level (7-10") in the skimmer chamber. Well, I neglected to read the fine print. Apparently, they have a revision to the Ruby30E that has the adjustable water level and "some" vendors still have the "old" style with a fixed 7" water level. Aquarium Specialty was having a heck of a sale, so I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on the sump only to end up with the "old" style.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. My skimmer likes 9" of water. Is this an excuse to upgrade skimmers? Or, do I return the sump and wait for the new model and cost myslef a bunch of money either way?? Right now, I'm thinking new skimmer and clean mine up and sell it for cheap to offset the cost of a new one. Open to opinions here.

Anyway....pics....
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

New tank should always include a new skimmer in my book! Go for the new skimmer!! I bought a vertex to back up my bubble king. Awesome skimmer for the $$. Sump looks sweet!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

No new tank yet, lol. Soon I hope. I'm planning on running the same one for another year or so at this point. As far as skimmers, I've not yet decided what the heck to do. I've looked at the super reef octopus, but still not sure that's the right one for me.

I like the sump, too! It's set up pretty well. I just have to decide what I'm going to do with the fuge section of the sump. I'm not sure if I want a real fuge, or if I just want the space for more live rock. And, if so, how I feed it. The sump is set up for either 2 drains into socks with a 3rd drain feeding the fuge, or one drain feeding the fuge and one into a sock, or 2 drains into socks with a split off the return to the fuge. Right now, I'm thinking 2 drains into the fuge with a split off the return feeding the fuge section.

Thoughts?

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice looking sump and stand. I would just use two drains into the socks and use the third for a emergency overflow, like on the bean animals. What tank are you getting and what drain set up are you going to use?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!
    Likes binford4000 liked this post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last