[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Stand for new equipment

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Exciting news on the new stand and sump. Why not add some acrylic to the top of the baffle to bring the skimmer section up to 9 inched?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Exciting news on the new stand and sump. Why not add some acrylic to the top of the baffle to bring the skimmer section up to 9 inched?

Tom
    No he needs a new skimmer for that sump don't give him any ideas
    Likes creefer liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Nice looking sump and stand. I would just use two drains into the socks and use the third for a emergency overflow, like on the bean animals. What tank are you getting and what drain set up are you going to use?
    Thanks, Larry. Short term, I'm going to keep the tank I currently have. Long term.....been doing a lot of thinking about that. I'd really like to get a 42" x 24" x 16". I really like the 16" depth. I prefer shallow tanks and the 42" dimension gives me a bit more room in the display than what I have now and will allow me to continue to use my current fixture. I'll get some areas of lower intensity for corals that appreciate that.

My current drain situation is a gl*******s 1500 GPH kit. It works well, but is not as quiet as they advertise. Any new tank will likely have something different. If I could get it by the wife, I'd get a reef savvy tank with a ghost overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post

Tom
    Thanks.

There are 2 reasons I'm not going to mess with the sump. The first is that I suck with acrylic and don't want to mess it up. The second is that I paid a decent sum of money for it and not really into modification to it at this point. I'd like to put it to use and see how well it performs.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    No new tank yet, lol. Soon I hope. I'm planning on running the same one for another year or so at this point. As far as skimmers, I've not yet decided what the heck to do. I've looked at the super reef octopus, but still not sure that's the right one for me.

I like the sump, too! It's set up pretty well. I just have to decide what I'm going to do with the fuge section of the sump. I'm not sure if I want a real fuge, or if I just want the space for more live rock. And, if so, how I feed it. The sump is set up for either 2 drains into socks with a 3rd drain feeding the fuge, or one drain feeding the fuge and one into a sock, or 2 drains into socks with a split off the return to the fuge. Right now, I'm thinking 2 drains into the fuge with a split off the return feeding the fuge section.

Thoughts?
    I agree with Larry,use the socks and save the third for overflow. Filter socks in my book are essential !! They're a PITA but really make the difference . If you recall I started our new tank with the reef octopus Diablo for my second skimmer,worked well but man was it loud! If your going to put the fuge in the stand you'll hear the reef octopus very clearly. When I switched to the vertex the noise level went null. I also ditched the the typical fuge. I.E. DSB with some rock. Never again!! I built a four inch raised floor out of egg crate and piled 100# of rock in there. I put a power head under the egg crate to keep things suspended in the water column. So far it's been great. I will take picture for ya in a few. The rock gives pods plenty of places to populate and of course it des filter also. Whatever you decied make sure it's your plan! You got the experience so go with it!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  56.0 KB

Not the best picture but you can see the egg crate,kinda
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by binford4000; 09-19-2014 at 03:19 AM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  73.8 KB

But you can see the results!lol
    Last edited by binford4000; 09-19-2014 at 03:15 AM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Thanks, Chuck. I've had no intention of putting anything in the fuge other than LR. Great idea on putting it on egg crate with a powerhead under it!! I also like the idea that Larry brought up about the socks. Part of the problem I have with the system I've got now is that I have no socks and detritus builds up and is a total PITA to keep clean. I'd rather buy a bunch of socks and swap them every couple days as opposed to dealing with what I've had to fight with the current system. At least, with all the recent problems, I'm learning something.

So I noted that I never responded to your question on the black walnut. I've not yet found it. I've got a line on something but won't know for sure until next week.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

So, here's another thing I'm struggling with. I want my stand to have as little hardware as possible. Meaning, if I can avoid hinges, I'd like to. With the location of my tank, I can't use sliding doors that slide to either side of the tank. So, I thought about making a door that would slide in only one direction. That also poses some problems. Now, I'm thinking of countersinking some magnets in the stand and a face panel such that the stand looks as though it has no doors, but the entire front panel is removable.

Thoughts???? I'm open to ideas here.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    So, here's another thing I'm struggling with. I want my stand to have as little hardware as possible. Meaning, if I can avoid hinges, I'd like to. With the location of my tank, I can't use sliding doors that slide to either side of the tank. So, I thought about making a door that would slide in only one direction. That also poses some problems. Now, I'm thinking of countersinking some magnets in the stand and a face panel such that the stand looks as though it has no doors, but the entire front panel is removable.

Thoughts???? I'm open to ideas here.
    Posiden did something like you are intending with the tounge and groove cedar I hooked him up with. Looks very clean and has great access to get at stuff. Magnets are hard to find that are strong enough to hold that much weight tho. Might want to thumb thru his build thread or shoot him a PM with questions
    Likes creefer liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Posiden did something like you are intending with the tounge and groove cedar I hooked him up with. Looks very clean and has great access to get at stuff. Magnets are hard to find that are strong enough to hold that much weight tho. Might want to thumb thru his build thread or shoot him a PM with questions

Good thinking. I've stumbled through his build thread. I originally had the idea to so the magnet thing after following his thread. I'm still a bit undecided, but most likely will do the magnet thing. If so, I'll certainly hit him up for some questions.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last