[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Stand for new equipment

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

The magnets work great for keeping the door closed, it is hinged on one side though, so that takes the weight from magnets. I ended up adding some rare earth magnets to give it a better closure strength.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I was hoping to avoid hinges altogether honestly. I really like the idea of being able to remove the entire front panel of the stand with ease. We shall see. I've had little time to work on this in the last week or so. I have been traveling for work and went bird hunting for a few days, so....not much got done.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I was able to spend a few minutes with the stand today. I decided to build a damn around the perimeter of the stand. This way, I can seal all the wood, caulk all the joints, spray a 2-part epoxy, then line the bottom with a rubber membrane like that which you'd use under a tile shower basin, and give my self some containment. Then I'll grab a leak detector for my apex and should be in good shape.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Sounds cool. I think you should ditch the acrylic sump and just waterproof the inside of the stand and make that your sump!

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Sounds cool. I think you should ditch the acrylic sump and just waterproof the inside of the stand and make that your sump!

Tom

Kind of like a plywood tank below the display?? I like the idea, but that's just not happening.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

So, today I put on the rear panel (not visible to anyone) and put the top on. I used birch plywood for this as most of it will be concealed when the stand is complete. I also caulked the inside of the stand and once that sets up, I'll prime and epoxy paint it.

We Need pics As You go

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dmmz View Post
    We Need pics As You go
    I'll get some up in a couple days. I'm terrible about taking pics, and even more terrible about doing anything with them.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I know...everyone needs a pic update. It's been since last Sunday since I've had a chance to work on this. We've had some challenges with the family lately that have consumed most of my free time. This has been going on for a little over a month. Consequently, my tank is suffering big time.

I have some stock that needs a temporary home, so if any local reefers are interested in helping out, please PM and I'll give you some details.

TIA.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Hey Chris,

I'd like to help if I can. PM me some details. Hopefully I can be of some assistance.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 01-16-2015 at 06:33 AM.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last