[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Phytoplankton Culture Experiment

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Phytoplankton Culture Experiment

Here's my very low-tech phytoplankton culture experiment. Started with 1/2 cup of phyto water (not very densely populated) from LFS. Added to 1/2 gallon fresh SW @ 1.019(ish)SG. Add in a 15W T-8 Coralife 50/50 bulb, timered to burn 16 hours on and 8 off. Tiny air pump to rigid tubing to keep the water moving. We'll see how things turn out, if it works in a week or so I should have 1/2 gallon of very green water, which I'll split in half and start again.

Total costs:
    1/2g rubbermaid container - $2 (wallyworld)
    1/2cup phyto populated water - $5

here's a shot of it today after 24 hours, already starting to turn a bit green.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

After you get the hang of growing the green water, you can add the rotifers in another container and raise all your own goodies.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

looks cool. i was going to do that with 2 litters. just need to find some more space.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

If someone goes down in our basement and doesn't understand saltwater reefing, and they whisper about it in this one horse town....lol....we'll be arrested and calling one of you to help us out. Our family doesn't know anything about this hobby of ours either, so they'd be hard pressed to explain it to the police to colaborate our story! They just think the tank is pretty and they love to come see it, but that's about it. Whether they'd bail us out of jail or not would be another story! hehe We're the couple in our family that loves to try adventure. We've been oil painters that made Bob Ross roll over in his grave...Bless his heart... , Hunters which Dave always kicks butt at, l but I go out and manage to get pneumonia the first day...bummer, waterskiiers....I drive the boat because I know better than to even attempt it ,but good 'ol Dave get's back there and holds on for dear life...even when he's down. We have to keep yelling at him to let go of the rope ....lmbo....oooohhh...and now we raise English Springers, or they are raising us. Before we got them we had put beautiful hardwood down on all the floors, bought a brand new $1000 nature/deer sofa, and the dogs ate the middle back rest while we were out one day. Now the hardwood looks awful and the floors have to be replaced badly again! These 5 spoiled dogs now stay outside in the day, but come in at night. They would all love to sleep with us. Dave and I get told to behave by strangers in the grocery store for 'misbehaving' and having to much fun with each other while we shop. Woah... I'm sorry...I really got way off topic here. I'm sorry, but I just had to. The funny part is, I could go on, and Dave is probably reading this and thinking of a bunch of stuff too! lol Heck, you only live once! I'll try to stay on topic. Just can't help it sometimes! It's just that there's a side to Mr. Straight and Narrow Computer Man that is so funny, and his secret is NOT safe with me! hehehe

Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Dave "wild thing" Cochran!!! Bad to the bone.

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by peregrinus
    looks cool. i was going to do that with 2 litters. just need to find some more space.
    2 Liters or 1/2G, not much difference :LOL: These are easier to come by as we don't by soda pop in bottles, instead we empty the shelf at wally world of these and the 1G's anytime they get them in, thousands of uses, everything from acclimating new critters, moving water, fragging, now to culturing phyto, going to start a brine shimp hatchery in a couple weeks to feed, and freeze myself as well.

Angel&Repto..... & respectively..... Just give me something to kill , blow up, or let the smoke out of and I'm a happy camper.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Dave

Default 1 week Update

One week later, starting to see a lot more green in there.... think if i'd started with one of those petri dish cultures things would have progressed a little quicker, but I'm learning to be a bit more patient. We'll see how the next week progresses, maybe have something viable by then. Might need to change the lighting, the 50/50 is 10K & actinic spectrums, may get better results with something down around 5K or lower.

Yea... try a plant grow light.

First Name
    Dave

Thinking of trying one of those power compact floodlights like I have over my fuge. The fuge needs another anyhows, they burn @ 2900K might do just the trick.

Good heck... should work really well. Mind your distance for the warm factor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last