[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Please help me build......

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Anxiously awaiting the friendly "get your arse back in" package from Jim so that I can figure it all out and order the necessary remainder of parts.
    From the sounds of it Jim, your sending a used dimmer and transformer?! What else am I gonna need exactly? Other than the heat sink, the led's, wire, solder, thermal past, (optics if I decide) assuming there is just one dimmer, Ill need to get a second to dim the white and blues separately correct? Would that then require a second transformer and or power supply? Im still a bit confused with all the terminology and what exactly they do.

I want to eventually have 12-18 led's, independently dimmable, closer to 20K look, and very few if any optics.

Also what size fan if any would you guys suggest. Will this require an additional power supply/transformer theingymajig, or are the Coralife ones acceptable that come with a wall plug??
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by RedfordReefer View Post
    Rob, I have a full metric Tap set for when the time comes man. I'd me more than willing to give ya a hand in getting the heat sink all tapped up and such. I also have thermal paste here.
    Thanks buddy, I appreciate the offer. Maybe you of all people can explain the electrical conversion jargon to me in layman terms!? I got the skills to do the wiring, just not following the power supply, to transformer to converter to driver chain. And how many diodes per driver etc.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by RedfordReefer View Post
    PWM or DC? What are you using for a RTC?

I'd be interested in seeing this, as I have more or less the same thing here. 4PWM channels, but 20GPIO pins (can tap relays off the pins), with the ability to take I2C, One-wire, and other inputs for real-time decisions. I had considered just integrating a reef controller last year, but I sold the tank. Still have the hardware here.

I am currently experimenting with the Cortex-M3 processor and a 2.4" LED touchscreen (320X240) as a front end.
    You can get the schematics, parts list and code for what I have here: typhon-reef - Typhon: An LED controller for aquarium lighting - Google Project Hosting

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

You might consider using the adhesive pads instead of drilling and tapping the heatsink. I don't have experience with either but when the time comes I am planning to use the pads. They are available from nanotuners and this site. I am considering buying all of my gear from the latter.

Tom

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3