[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Plumbing 101 help!

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

OK generally the sump/fuge is under your tank. Water comes down a pipe from your overflow and enters the first chamber, this is where you put your skimmer and a crash chamber if you would like one, next is a set of baffels, next is the fuge section, followed by more baffels, and finally a section for your return pump which attaches to the plumbing for your CLM. As for sizes there is no rule of this many inches for this or that section. My advise (take it for what it's worth to you) is to make pressure locking baffels (look in the diy section) and keep the skimmer/intake and return pump area as samll as you can so that your fuge can be bigger. test to make sure the areas are not to small before you put sand in the fuge. Get everthing where you want it fill the fuge with sand and rock and you have a sump/refuge.

Hope this is what you wanted.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

yes, that's much better! thanks joe!

Sorry to hijack the thread, I am making a sump/refuge now and am curious about lighting for the refuge. is it necessary? if so how many watts suffice for th refuge. I almost have all the equipment, just waiting for the skimmer to come in. 20 gallon refuge and 10 gallon sump is what i'm planning. I like the idea of a closed loop, although I would not be able to drill the tank for a closed loop. I like the idea of using the return manifold though, and may purchase an extra pump to install at a later date by just placing it in the return chamber and then plumbing the manifold up top. I imagine alot of pressure is lost traveling that high, but drilling for a CLM is not an option.

thoughts?

You don't have to drill to have a CLM, actually. It definitly helps, but its not 100% nessicary.

I've seen tons of pix where people just put the clamped shop lights and put a "swirly Q" bulb in them for fuge lighting, easy, and inexpensive. It also should be enough to grow cheato, and some other macros.

light - Plumbing 101 help!

and

bulb - Plumbing 101 help!

how many watts per gallon is necessary for cheatos? 5?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dkode View Post
    how many watts per gallon is necessary for cheatos? 5?
    5w per gallon should be okay... if you are going the twisty type power compact go as high as you want.. on my 10g fuge I think I'm now running a 120w rated lamp, which only consumes like 23w of power.... macro growth is fantastic....

My personal theory is that faster the growth, the more nutrients and other things are being removed from the water column.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I've been told several times that the watts / gal method is kinda dated, so I really couldn't tell ya there.

And, I really am not the one to be answering light questions.

excellent dakar!

Im setting up my sump and fuge now. just have to get the plumbing and drill one of the tanks.

thanks for the info. does anyone on CR sell chaetos? or ebay or something?

eric ( perpetual98 ) i think does quite often.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2