[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Power compact end cap wiring

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Power compact end cap wiring

Anyone got a quick pin out for wiring the square 4 pin endcaps? Specifically GY10Q.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have 4 pin but not sure of the GY10Q. Is that a ballast or a socket type? I will check on what I have.

First Name
    Dave

That's the socket type... 4 pins in a square rather than the German type which are in a straight row. Figured either the endcaps would be labeled or it would be a quick run through Google.... no such luck.

I canabalized my old PC fixture and changing out the bulb type and endcaps, just need to sort out what pins should be wired red and which yellow from the ballasts. Only 4 real possibilities, but I'd rather not let the smoke out of new bulbs by guessing, my luck since I have 4 new bulbs it would have to be my forth guess that would be right.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

The way mine is wired 2 joined wires on the right and 2 joined wires on the left. It shouldn't matter which color on which side since the bulbs are symmetric can be inserted 2 different ways. Does this make since?

First Name
    Dave

Perfectly! thanks dude! That's what I had figured, neither the tubes nor the ballast cares what pins are connected to which end of the tube so long as both of the high voltage wires are not connected to opposite ends of the same tube.

The bulbs can be installed into the endcaps either way (rotating it 180 degrees), so that really reduced it down to a 50/50 chance of blowing something up.

I'll get them soldered up and firing tonight when I get home. woohoo 260w of 460nm Blue's should really make our crittters flouresce up nicely.

Thanks for taking to time to look at yours and drawing that up... as always a great help.

BTW for anyone why cares the real nomenclature for the straight pin type is 2G11.

Think I'll scan or redraw a lot of my wiring diagrams and stuff and start a new section for the board. Anyone wanting to contribute will be more than welcome!

CR Member

here try this
    When this baby hits 88 Mph Your going to see some serious Sh*t !

First Name
    Dave

Before I wired them I tested the pins on the old bulbs for continuity, and found they way they needed to be wired. The Coralife fixture uses 4 individual ballasts, one per bulb, so it was a little different, I'll see if I can get a part number or something off of them ballasts this weekend and draw up the original and the new wiring diagrams.

BTW the 460nm bulbs are REALLY blue, but very bright and crisp, changed the flourescing colors of most everything without the daylights.... not sure how much I like them yet for the dusk/dawn effect, but then again I won't get to see them with the MV's until tommorrow night. We'll decide then, should be interesting.