[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My DIY Skimmer Box for Prism and other "like" skim

Bookmark and Share
    JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default My DIY Skimmer Box for Prism and other "like" skim

I haven't used a HOT skimmer in a long time. I now use a Euroreef in my 75G and love it. When setting up my new seahorse tank, I bought a used Red Sea Prism because I am not using a sump (yet) and needed to keep the filter as a HOT. The only problem that I found is that the siphon tube extends far too deep into the water column to effectively skim the water. You want to ensure that the "slick" on the top of the water is kept down. By taking water 4 to 6 inches below the surface, you miss this film.

I read about people using old CD cases and other acrylic to make a box. I figured, it has to be easier than that. This is what I did.

Material:

1 and 1/2 or 2 inch PVC (if you can find black, it's more appealing to the eye)
    Matching end cap for said PVC.
    Table Saw
    Plastic "zip" ties
    Egg Crate Diffuser
    Suction cup mount assembly from either an old heater, powerhead etc.

- Simply measure the siphon tube of your filter; both length and girth.
    - Cut the PVC to ensure that it slides over the tube with room at the bottom and sides for water flow. In the case of my older Prism, this was 7 inches in length, and due to the larger strainer on the end, I used 2 inch diameter.
    - Cut one end (the side with a cleaner cut) with slits for overflow. I decided to make two inch cuts to ensure that I don't run the pump dry if I have evaporation.
    - Drill two holes 1/2 way down the tube, in the back, for use in mounting to suction cup brace. I used a triple cup holder from an old maxijet 1200. You could do the same, or use a heater assembly cup mount.
    - If needed, use egg crate diffuser as a block between the tube and the cup assembly to keep the surface skimmer level and off the glass.
    - Use zip ties to mount the tube assembly, diffuser blocks, and suction cup assembly together.
    - Slide the new unit under the intake/siphon tube and adjust so it is 1/8 of an inch out of the water, therefore sucking the scum from the surface of the water.

Viola!!

For what it's worth, I drilled a very small hole on one of the teeth of the overflow, and attached zip ties to it and another point on the skimmer filter. This way, if the suction cups give out, the zip ties still hold it in place until I can clean and replace the cup.

See image below.

Any questions? Anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller...

D
    ><((((

More images...
    ><((((

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Looks terrific.... super work!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Thanks...if I had to do it again, I'd use black PVC or smoked acrylic tubes. Also, a friend at BRS told me of a good MOD to it. Use a 3 or 4 inch converter to 2 inch for a larger surface skim.

D
    ><((((

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Nice DIY project. Hopefully the Prism works for you. I had one and could never make it work right. Either no skim or overflow. Also pretty noise. In reading about them, I guess there is a couple different versions floats around out there. At least one works well. Good luck.

Thus far, I'm getting skimmate, albeit sandy and brown. I've only had one overflow when I was first setting it. My water is now crystal clear and this morning I noticed the skimmate turning greener. We shall see....
    ><((((