[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Project Overflow

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Project Overflow

Okay first, I must admit the original idea was brought to me by Perpetual98, (who lifted it from someone else). But with days of collaboration between Perpetual, Graphixx, and muself we identified several flaws in the original design and hopefully ironed out a few potential problems.

The Idea.... a continuously overflowing tank... yes overflowing... on purpose!

For $8, I scored this dandy little pile of 1/4" glass cut to size. 1-18"x18", 2-18"x12", and 2-17.5"x12.

glass1 - Project Overflow

It's all rough cut, but for $8, come on.... I'll finish the edges myself, nothing a little elbow grease and some sandpaper won't resolve. (BTW the next cheapest source for the glass was $65 with finished edges).

glass2 - Project Overflow

If you look closely you can see where the large pane is marked for drilling... I'll have another thread started later this evening with pics and a step by step of how I drill glass. I was hoping to have it finished by now, but some dummy put away the dremel and diamond bits so they wouldn't get lost.... of course now I can't figure out where I put them....go figure.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Dave

BTW the silicone pictured is what will be holding this gem together, it's GE Type I, without the mildew resistant stuff.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

aaaahhhh, you are gonna bring it to life!!!! This is gonna be an awesome thread.

For those of you who have not seen these tanks you are in for a treat when Dakar gets this done. they are amazing. I am hopefully gonna give mine another run here in the spring.
    Keep us posted on this Dave with lots of pics.
    fulltankshot 1 - Project Overflow

Hmmm, someone was supposed to get me some glass too and never did. I wonder who that could be? Probably the same person who stole my idea.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

First Name
    Dave

hahaha just waiting for them to restock on the glass for you Eric.... Not something the generally keep in stock, This all came out their 'scrap bin'. Next glass order will include some more 1/4. You want the 18x18 or 24x24? I'll call in the order around the end of the week for yours.... price will likely vary, maybe double my costs.

I did talk to a few 'glass guys', my orignal thought of using 3000 grit sandpaper was a bit off, they recommended nothing finer than 320 to kock off the edges without chipping the glass.

Put in my glass order for sure! Double your glass cost? A whopping $16? lol Works for me.

How much sanding does it take? I'm assuming that you put some 320 on a block and just smooth the corners so that you don't lacerate a finger.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

First Name
    Dave

Managed tog get the only needed hole drilled today, no breakage! Posted a DIY thread on drilling glass for those intersted - linky.

If time permits between stringing lights and other projects I might be able to squeeze in some assembly time in to at least get the glass/silicone work started.