[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

quality float switch?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default quality float switch?

Hey guys, as I move along on this wonderful path towards completion of my new setup, I’m now ready to work on the auto top off system. I want to just run a line from my RO system, directly into a float switch, and into the sump. I need to make sure that the switch I use is really reliable because if it sticks open, I will flood the living room (carpet + saltwater = my parents kill me).

So the question is:

Who makes/where do I get a high quality float switch?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

looks like a good choice to me. when i get mine going i think i am gonna use the same one.

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

The best float switch out there is from califroniareefs. It is very cheap and last a very long time. I have 2 of them one on my 110 that I have had for 3 years now and a second one on my frag tank. Dont waist your time or money buying a top off system from anyone else. Trust me. Here is a link to the web site.

Rich

http://www.californiareefs.com/forsale.htm

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

The float valve you are looking at requires you to have a pump run 24/7 so the top off system is under pressure. If something would fail you will have water everywhere. Do you really want 10-20 gallons of fresh water pumped into your sump and on to the floor. I would think twice about getting a top off system that works under pressure

Rich

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I use an auto top-off with the kent float switch in 2 vessels... the first is my kalkwasser mix vessel and the second is the sump. Always have auto top off. However, I suggest using a primary vessel for your ro tank due to the constant use of the auto shut off on the RO unit, it tends to fail rather quickly. With a holding vessel, you will be able to have a 'on' and 'off' point for the auto shut off without the constant use of the auto shut off valve. This can be done with another float switch to turn off the shut off valve, but may have to use a electronic valve to initiate the auto shut off to open up and refill the holding tank. Depending on the position of the tank and if it's pressurized, you may also have to use a pump to feed the water to the float valve in the sump, etc.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I fall on the opposite side of the fence when it comes to float valves/switches.A valve is a mechanical device where a switch is an electrical device.Switch's are much more prone to failing then a valve.Thats why many people who use a float switch use 2 as a backup.I've been useing gravity fed auto top off's via float valve in sump for years now.Its virtually fool proof.This type of auto top-off is gravity fed from a reservoir into the float valve,My reservoir is simple as a 5gal bucket.On my smaller tank,this is enough to last 4 days.I also use it to dose kalk/lime.
    The other option for top-off via float-valve is to plumb the RO/DI directly to the valve.This requires a pressure shut-off valve inline which cuts off the source water to the RO.These are also a mechanical device which is much less likely to fail than an elcetical switch(float switch),especially in saltwater applications in a sump.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

these are the first two sentences of the description for the float I posted please re-read the second sentence.

Adapts to wet/dry filter sumps. Refills filter by gravity fed water supply.

According to the description It works on gravity and can be set to turn a ro/di unit on and off if you chose to use it with that application which would come in handy if you plumbed your unit to automaticly refill the top-off resivore so you wouldn't have to worry about it running dry (I.E. vacation time).
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Quote Originally Posted by RWalston
    The float valve you are looking at requires you to have a pump run 24/7 so the top off system is under pressure. If something would fail you will have water everywhere. Do you really want 10-20 gallons of fresh water pumped into your sump and on to the floor. I would think twice about getting a top off system that works under pressure

Rich

Since I'm hooking the float valve up to my RO system which has a pressureized container (2gals or so) and is at least 30psi (as a result of household water main pressure), wouldn't I be safe? The water system in the house keeps the RO system pressureized and thus keeps the valve under pressure.
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

Dave, what float valve are you using?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last