[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

recommendations for a DIY bubble plate

Bookmark and Share
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default recommendations for a DIY bubble plate

I'm thinking of making and adding a bubble plate to my skimmer. Anyone have experience doing this, or have recommendations as to how to best do it?

I have a Euroreef 8" diameter skimmer body and am running a Tunze hydrofoamer (9410.040 if I remember correctly) pump. I have some ideas but would like to get others' input before I put mine out there.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I'd look up the VBT design that Jon Warner uses Tom. I think you will have to take apart the skimmer to add one, maybe even take it apart using a GIANT BAND SAW. (Scary!)

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That is definitely a nice bubble plate design. I'm sure I have the DIY skills to pull that off. It's a great suggestion and presents a potential bubble plate issue I had never previously thought about.

Thank you for the information Poseidon!

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    David
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

The avast bubble plate is a pretty simple design and i dont think it would be too hard to add avast marine works cs1 pegl - recommendations for a DIY bubble plate

its held in by two pieces of 1/4-20 nylon threaded rod. you could do any form of a bubble plate but use this style attachment?

First Name
    Tom

I'm digging this old thread up and dusting it off!

I think I have a cheap solution. I should have the necessary parts within a week or two and will update this thread when I have something built!

Thanks for looking,
    Tom

First Name
    Tom

Well, it took a lot longer than a week to get this done... Turns out that a 4" opening on a skimmer will not fit 4" PVC (due to the thickness of the wall. So I used 3" PVC coupler and a 4" plastic drain cover. The result is not pretty but appears to be doing a great job! And cost me less than $5.

Before
    056B9728 3F17 4E82 989F D7360C4D6916 8036 000004F28330B84A zps45f5bc44 - recommendations for a DIY bubble plate

After
    C06B63F3 58A2 4AB1 A5F4 0141C9207601 8036 000004F249309935 zpsfbca9f7e - recommendations for a DIY bubble plate

DF6B1575 14C9 425E 9365 43343BD0E245 8036 000004F2CF783D5A zps3a1eb257 - recommendations for a DIY bubble plate

Tom

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Cool DIY Tom. Has it improved the performance of the skimmer. I had a very long debate with the guy from reef dynamics about bubble plates on another forum . He is not an advocate of bubble plates and states they're just a sales gimmick just like cone skimmers. He claims his personal research proved it ??? What was the results of your research ? FYI reef dynamics and euro are the same,he changed the name when he bought it. Very interested in your results. Will be following along !

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Cool DIY Tom. Has it improved the performance of the skimmer. I had a very long debate with the guy from reef dynamics about bubble plates on another forum . He is not an advocate of bubble plates and states they're just a sales gimmick just like cone skimmers. He claims his personal research proved it ??? What was the results of your research ? FYI reef dynamics and euro are the same,he changed the name when he bought it. Very interested in your results. Will be following along !
    Thanks. I feel like there may be a slight increase in skimmate production. Though I skim pretty dry and don't have any actual data to back up my position.

My EuroReef skimmer set up is not stock, since I run it with a TUNZE hydrofoamer pump. What I was noticing (and why I wanted a bubble plate) was to get a better upward stream of bubbles. The Hydrofoamer was blasting the bubbles agains the far side of the skimmer and that seemed counter productive to me.

Tom