[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

reeftechpros led prototype

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Default reeftechpros led prototype

hello everyone. my name is matt and im new here to the forum. i just wanted to put up here my led protoype build that my business Reeftechpros came up with.
    IMG 0048 - reeftechpros led prototype
    IMG 0047 - reeftechpros led prototype
    this is what we decided to use for housing everything (heat sink,leds,wiring,drivers) it couldnt have worked out an better. its sleek and very streamline when its all put together. the heat sink thats in these lights is overkill meaning that its plenty big enough to keep the fixtures cool just by themselves but we figured it wouldnt hurt to throw some fans on top of the units just to circulate air over the heat sink. these things run cool as a cucumber!!! i ran one for 48 hours straight at full power and the unit didnt even heat up which i like just for safety purposes. as far as leds we went with the cree series. each light has 2 cool white cree xp-g3 (10k) 2 blue 3-up cree xp-g (460-480nm) 2 royal blue 3-up cree xp-g (450-465nm) each disk has 3 leds on it and each led is 3 watts so each disk is 9 watts. we put 3 1000mA buckblock drivers in each unit which is a little over kill but this way you can drive these things way up with out burning them out. the two fans that are in the top of the unit are installed opposite of each other meaning one is blowing air into the unit and the other is blowing it out of the unit there for there is always a constant flow or air over the heat sink.
    IMG 0053 - reeftechpros led prototype
    SAM 2202 - reeftechpros led prototype
    SAM 2180 - reeftechpros led prototype
    SAM 2197 - reeftechpros led prototype
    SAM 2195 - reeftechpros led prototype
    unfortunetly we were not able to get any sort of digital timer or digital dimmer for these units but they will be on future units. the two fixtures we have now have two individual dials one controlling the whites and the other controlling the blues. when we finished building the first one i hung it 12" above my 90 gal frag tank (48x18x24) and it covers the entire tank!!! i have 8 frags of acro LPS (hammer, acans, trumpet, zoas, pink palys, lobo, welsi, chalices, favia, and some soft coral and everything is doing great. no bleacing with the sps and even the big welsi i have at the bottom of the tank is happy and looks amazing especially with only the blues are on.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-03-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: fix img tag

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Looks great! Any chance you have PAR values for these fixtures?

Tom

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

unfortunately no, not at this time. a par meter wasnt in the budget so im currently searching for someone thats kind of local that has one that may be willing to let me borrow it so i can get some quick readings. so for now ive just been letting all the coral do the talking for me and no matter where i put stuff there always happy. great polyp extension chalices look great and even the polyps on the sps are always out so im taking all of this has a good thing but again i am working on those par readings.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Corals can be a pretty good measure for light quantity/quality. How long has the fixture been running on your tank?

Tom

First Name
    Matt

i had one running on it for a month but we just finished building the second one so the past three days there have been two on there so its a lot brighter but everything is still doing just great even with the added fixture

CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff R.Solution
    Awards Photo of the Month - Emerald Eyes Photo of the Month Contest

bring it down to the store, i have an Apogee par meter. we can take the readings right there.
    Jeff
    Reef Solutions
    [imglink]http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/sig.php?n=flynnstone[/imglink]

First Name
    Matt

seriously??? thats awesome jeff. i really appreciate it. any chance i can swing in tomorrow?

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

think he loged all ready i can call him for u and make sure he brings the par meter in if your going to come bye tom
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

First Name
    Matt

please do... i will absolutley be there tomorrow if hes willing to do this for me

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

for sure ill texted right now for u
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last