[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

refugium/sump diy

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

Unhappy refugium/sump diy

HELP.....I have done this twice now with semidisasterous result.....I want to build my own but the silicone keeps letting go and my baffles just fall down does anyone have any good why that i can keep these from shifting...I am useing a 20 tank with a polymer silicone and 1/4 lexian for the baffles and i am just about to put my foot through the whole damn thing.

do these fall out after the sump is up and running ? if the answer is no and they fall out while trying to build than proceed...

OK first things first.... you have to go slow... You need to get your first baffles in place to make this easy. do this by stabilizing them with a couple of pieces of something heavy used on both sides of the baffle to hold it vertical, and to the bottom of the tank. I used books/magazines. Put your silicone on the baffle and get it into place and let it set overnight/12 hours. After you do this get some styrofoam from whatever packaging you can find. Your gonna need to cut blocks out of it. Cut them to 1" high, and about 1.75" wide and about 2" long. It will look like a rectangular cube. Cut a slit in it about 1/4" deep in the middle running the length of the block and place the baffle edge in this styrofoam slit. Put your silicone on the baffle edges and place this #2 baffle in the tank. Slide your styrofoam block all the way to the other baffle, by making them 1.75" you create a 3/4" gap between baffles and your slit you made will give you a 3/4" height off the bottom. use a couple of other styrofoam blocks on the top edge of the #1 baffle up against the #2 baffle to keep the top @ 3/4" distance too. Just put something to hold pressure against # 2 to put pressure against the styrofoam. Again let this set up for 12 hours or so. After this sets up just pull the styrofoam out by breaking it apart from underneath baffle # 2. Baffle #3 is done kind of like the first one, except, this time you wont need styrofoam on the bottom as the baffle will be glued to the bottom of the tank. Cut some more of those blocks the same dimension, and use the same 1/4" deep slit on the block. put this on the top of the #3 baffle, and place it up against the #2 baffle so you have a 3/4" gap. After you have test fit the last baffle glue in as normal, and set the styroam block/spacer against #2. Let it set and after this one cures you now have a 6 baffle sump (pending that you made 2 chambers) thats how I did it, and it worked perfect...

PS while gluing the #2 and # 3 baffles you can also tip the tank so the baffles are horizontal resting on the foam, and this works great too. If the foam sticks, try a coat hanger bent and gaf it out

I hope this is what you wanted...

RG

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Lexan/plastics dont bond well with silicon.Try useing glass baffles instead.If you must use the lexan,scuff it up really good on its edges where the silicon goes.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Agreed, if you are not quite adept at cutting your own glass for the baffles you can have glass cut to size for dirt cheap at HD or most other local hardware stores or glass shops.... you'll find it much easier to work with.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    George

well after already paying for the lexan i would like to use it but I want something that will work.....I thought the lexan would be better.....live and learn. My home depot will not cut glass so a glass shop i go

First Name
    George

no the baffles fall out after the sumps running to answer a preveious question.

it drives me absolutely insane when people say that you can't use acrylic baffles in a sump because "silicone and acrylic won't "bond"

Total rubbish. If you lay down a good enough bead of silicone to the glass tank, you only need marginal adhesion to the silicone for something as simple as a sump. I've never had a problem with 1/4" acrylic siliconed into my sumps. In fact, to test my last one out, I let it cure for a couple of days and I actually picked the entire sump up by the baffles.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

CW, thats what I thought (falling over up and running)... you have been around here for a while, and I figured you were dialed.

CW you could also have yourself some glass strips cut say 3/4" by 12" and glue them to the side to make a channel for the lexan to slide into.... might be kind of trick also for cleaning purposes. The next one I do, this is how I will do it. Kind of like slotted shelves that fit in to a channel...

My glass shop cut me 6 baffles, and it only cost me 6 bucks... Not to shabby.

CR Member

Has anyon ever tried using plexiglass?

First Name
    George

plexi is too flimsy, Try the lexan a little more expensive but it doesn't have the give that plexi has. i was thinking the slotted route or at least spacers. and i did let it cure for DAYS actually I think it sat for 2 weeks before i put a rop of water in it but the 2 that let lose didn't have as much silicone as the 2 that are still in place but i haven't touched them for fear of them letting go...I am going to give it another try and this time i am gluing the $#@% out of them peices it will take a whale splashing around in thre after this time

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last