[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Remove the Rim from a 29g HQI Biocube?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Remove the Rim from a 29g HQI Biocube?

I had this wild idea pop into my head about removing the big black ugly rim from the top of my 29 gallon HQI biocube. Has anyone come across anyone else that has attempted this? This tank would look 1000 times better I think without that ugly black plastic "rimstock".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

It would look 1000x better. Maybe I should do it to lil 8g so you could see how it would look
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wish I had something to add helpfull- but i have never owned an AIO tank of any kind.

I would asume that if it was made to handle "rimless" capabilities, it might be, in a way, eurobraced- underneath the plastic rim. If its not, I would tend to think it wont handle the pressure of the water with out the added enforcement/integrity of the water weight.

I sure hope I am wrong though, and its very possible i am. I am just guessing/thinking out loud on the subject really. I think the cube would look awsome without the top!

Hope you find your answer soon Jim.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Good question. It certainly would look nice rim-less, but I would be wary to be the first person to try it. I think you should find a used one cheap, hack the top off, and run it with FW outside for a month. Then you could at least be sure it won't pop right away.

Looking forward to the photo montage on this DIY.

Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah...just hoping someone might happen along that has either tried this or seen someone that has. I really always wanted the Solana 34 gallon rimless tank, but this biocube presented itself in a deal and the rest is history. Lately been thinking about the Solana again...but had this crazy notion that the hqi could be sharp without that ugly black rim...it is also likely the edge of the glass is fairly ugly too. Unlike the beveled and polished edge of the Solana tank.

The most likely scenario (other than me living with what I have already) is having a tank made similar to the Solana by Great Lakes or someone. That way, I don't have to pay for all the parts I won't use that come with the Solanas. I'm mostly just thinking "out loud"...

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I like the rimless biocube idea.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

A rimless Biocube brilliant.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I am not sure how the glass would actually look though. I have taken the top trim off other tanks and usually the 1/2" of glass above the bottom of the trim has been sanded/shaved/little chips, etc and it looks horrible. The glass under the trim isn't usually finished/polished because that's what the trim isthere for...to hide the defects. I could be wrong because I have never taken one off a biocube, so you might be ok. If you do decide to take it off, make sure you are pretty careful because I pulled a nice size chip out along with the trim when I removed the trim from my sump.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    had this crazy notion that the hqi could be sharp without that ugly black rim...
    Do it!

xX Th3 Om3n Xx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Scott

On another site someone did this. You MUSt have a brace or it'll bow out and ****ter.......
    I reef so therefore I spend

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last