[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RO storage project.

Bookmark and Share
    Joefish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Default RO storage project.

After the ro getting left on over night for the hundredth flood I decided it was time for something better than a brute can for storage. After closing to use a 55g drum I had a few problems. First it takes up a bit of space in my small house. I also didn't like the idea of cutting a hole in the top and using yet another pump to transport the water. The open hole also would allow in dust and dirt. So the plan was hatched for a 55 gallon drum on its side a little over 3 feet off the ground. Step one was supporting the barrel so it wouldn't split or flex too much. The bottom support in the cradle is notched so that as much of the seam is in contact as possible. The rest were set snug to the empty barrel.

P2180162 - RO storage project.

Pluming for the drain was easy as the barrel plug was threaded already. Mounting the bulk reef supply adjustable float switch was a bit tougher. The plug was too thick to mount the switch and attach the water line. A trip to the hardware store revealed that the plug has the same threads as a 2 inch pvc cleanout cap. A hole was drilled in the square top and the switch mount and then installed backwards. Next was a simple vent with a pill bottle full of filter floss. I made sure to mount it high enough to gravity fill my auto top off barrel in the living room. For water changes I can now just put the salt in the brute can, wheel it under the tap and fill.

rostrg - RO storage project.

As an added bonus the space under is large enough to store all my extra aquarium gear.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sweet project!! Nice bonus on the new storage space.

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

good thinking and great project!!!
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

That's alottawater! Nice.

Joefish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

still running perfect, never leaked, float never gotten stuck. Room has been painted for years now.

Bumping this thread for a site member who cant figure out why his reef is failing. You start with **** water you get a **** reef. Why spend the money on an ro/di and let it get ionized and contaminated by your house air and dust! Having to pump source water into your SW mix barrel is ignorant. Use pressure and gravity to your advantage. Reef keeping isn't hard if you have common sense and a basic understanding of the science behind water.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Joefish View Post
    still running perfect, never leaked, float never gotten stuck. Room has been painted for years now.

Bumping this thread for a site member who cant figure out why his reef is failing. You start with **** water you get a **** reef. Why spend the money on an ro/di and let it get ionized and contaminated by your house air and dust! Having to pump source water into your SW mix barrel is ignorant. Use pressure and gravity to your advantage. Reef keeping isn't hard if you have common sense and a basic understanding of the science behind water.
    Are you intoxicated? Lol
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Do you have it hooked up so your r/o turns off when its gets to a certain point?