After the ro getting left on over night for the hundredth flood I decided it was time for something better than a brute can for storage. After closing to use a 55g drum I had a few problems. First it takes up a bit of space in my small house. I also didn't like the idea of cutting a hole in the top and using yet another pump to transport the water. The open hole also would allow in dust and dirt. So the plan was hatched for a 55 gallon drum on its side a little over 3 feet off the ground. Step one was supporting the barrel so it wouldn't split or flex too much. The bottom support in the cradle is notched so that as much of the seam is in contact as possible. The rest were set snug to the empty barrel.
Pluming for the drain was easy as the barrel plug was threaded already. Mounting the bulk reef supply adjustable float switch was a bit tougher. The plug was too thick to mount the switch and attach the water line. A trip to the hardware store revealed that the plug has the same threads as a 2 inch pvc cleanout cap. A hole was drilled in the square top and the switch mount and then installed backwards. Next was a simple vent with a pill bottle full of filter floss. I made sure to mount it high enough to gravity fill my auto top off barrel in the living room. For water changes I can now just put the salt in the brute can, wheel it under the tap and fill.
As an added bonus the space under is large enough to store all my extra aquarium gear.