[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

To silicone or not to silicone?

Bookmark and Share
    shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

Default To silicone or not to silicone?

I am trying to get a definative consensus from the DIY group on here. When installing bulkheads do you guys silicone between the bulkhead and gasket and then in between the gasket and the glass or acrylic or do you guys install dry?
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I can't imagine that it would hurt... maybe even would act as insurance, but I haven't
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Same here... always dry or mostly dry, as I do moisten the gasket a bit, kind of like putting a thin layer of clean oil on an oil filter gasket. But if you chose to silicone them I'm with Jason, shouldn't hurt so long as you tighten them up snug before it begins curing, but they will be a bear to remove afterwards if needed.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michael

You should not use silicone on the gaskets. Silicone while in it's cured state is a great sealer,when it is uncured it will act as a lubricant and allow the gasket to slide out from under the bulkhead. And may even react adversely wiht the gasket. When we use bulkheads for various hot rod projects we like to use an o-ring lubricant on the gasket but just a touch so the bulkhead does not twist or teat the gasket. Most times the guys are too lazy and just use a little saliva on the gaskets
    Mike

No silicone, and only hand tight. Super hand tight, but no wrenches at all.

The rubber flat o-ring goes in the inside of the tank, up against the flange. The nut tightens on the threads on the outside.

And no plumbing is designed to fit on those threads, they are only there for the nut. I case you were wondering.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

when I originally posted this I was being a little tongue-in-cheek asking for a consensus! lol
    I have always installed mine dry as well but wanted to see if anyone else has tried the silicone because in my new 250 gal. set up i will not be able to get to the tank overflow and return bulkheads later without a LOT of effort and cabinet teardown. Thanks for the insight folks and anyone else wanting to chime in on this subject come on with it! lol
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

*CHIME* Dammit, hurry up and get that built and we are gonna need to see some pics too buddy
    fulltankshot 1 - To silicone or not to silicone?