[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmer "muffler" plans?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Skimmer "muffler" plans?

I'd like to quiet down the gurgle on my skimmer, but my past attempts only made it louder! Anyone do this and have success with it? Pictures and details would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

What have you done / tried to do already?

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I heard (and tried) adding a small container (i.e. film canister) to the end of the air hose will quiet it down. I tried this a while ago so I may not be remembering all of the detail correctly but I think I drilled one hole in the bottom of the canister and another in the lid. The air tube from the skimmer was placed in the bottom hole. Result: little to no reduction in sound... maybe a slight change in pitch. So, then I took the lid off and that made it louder then ever. I did try this with several containers some larger some smaller. But to no avail.

I would like to try this again and have a few ideas but before I hack up a bunch of containers wanted to see what others have done to successfully quiet their skimmer.

Here are a few of my ideas:
    • instead of a single intake hole have a bunch of smaller ones
    • loosely pack the container with filter floss, cotton balls or something similar
    • Go with a much larger container (quart size or larger)
    • all of the above

Thanks,
    Tom

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

When I installed a CO2 scrubber, one of the unexpected benefits was that it completely silenced my skimmer. It's essentially just a standard filter canister - Run the air intake line in one end and the sound disappeared - even without the CO2 scrubber media.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I heard (and tried) adding a small container (i.e. film canister) to the end of the air hose will quiet it down. I tried this a while ago so I may not be remembering all of the detail correctly but I think I drilled one hole in the bottom of the canister and another in the lid. The air tube from the skimmer was placed in the bottom hole. Result: little to no reduction in sound... maybe a slight change in pitch. So, then I took the lid off and that made it louder then ever. I did try this with several containers some larger some smaller. But to no avail.

I would like to try this again and have a few ideas but before I hack up a bunch of containers wanted to see what others have done to successfully quiet their skimmer.

Here are a few of my ideas:
    • instead of a single intake hole have a bunch of smaller ones
    • loosely pack the container with filter floss, cotton balls or something similar
    • Go with a much larger container (quart size or larger)
    • all of the above

Thanks,
    Tom
    I was going to suggest the filter floss lightly packed in to a small container with two tubes. Think about a car muffler, how those work to deaden sound without killing airflow (in most cases not too badly), you need to create a chamber that has enough volume to create a buffer zone so the pulsing waves of air intake slow down to a smooth stream. Once that is accomplished, you can add filter floss to quiet down the sound of rushing air with something like filter floss.

an image for some thought. muffler cutopen - Skimmer "muffler" plans?
    Last edited by XSiVE; 08-23-2010 at 11:54 PM.

I used a pill bottle with 2 holes drilled in the bottom. One hole for the airline and the other as a vent. I then packed some cotton balls in and it worked like a charm. Dead silent.

First Name
    Tom

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I used a pill bottle with 2 holes drilled in the bottom. One hole for the airline and the other as a vent. I then packed some cotton balls in and it worked like a charm. Dead silent.
    Alright this sounds (pun intended) like what I'll be trying. Have you noticed any reduction in performance with the skimmer? I'm wondering if the cotton restricts air flow at all.

Thanks,
    Tom

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Thanks for all of the input everyone!

Alright this sounds (pun intended) like what I'll be trying. Have you noticed any reduction in performance with the skimmer? I'm wondering if the cotton restricts air flow at all.

Thanks,
    Tom
    It shouldnt restrict airflow at all if the buffer zone is large enough and the inlet hole is at least the same size as the outlet.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    +1 pack it up with some cotton.

First Name
    Tom

Decided to try an extra easy version... and it works great!

Ingredients:
    1. Bottle
    2. Filter batting

Procedure:
    • Roll the batting up
    • use index finger to open up center of floss
    • insert floss into bottle
    • insert skimmer hose into floss

Its the inverted bottle with blue floss stuck in it...
    IMAG0180 - Skimmer "muffler" plans?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last