[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Stand

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    cweber - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Stand

Hey all you do it your selfers. Im going to start a build thread here soon, but first i need some advice. I ve got most of my stand together using 2x4s, and it looked crooked. I measured my corners and made adjustments so they are all the same length, but now its kind of bowed. Any suggestions, im not a carpenter by any means. Thanks

Cory

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Break out a square and a tape measure and make sure all boards are the same length, i.e. front and back, sides, legs, braces, then check all corners for square.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

is it the floor level ??... thats why i used my pool table
    :: hummer :nemo

i just measured 2 more times befor i cut ....and lay it all out befor puting it up making sure it is all squared ...

chris

Spookey, I had the lumber yard cut everything to length. The only tools i have are mechanic tools, and i didnt want to buy a bunch of stuff for one project.

Hummer, the floor isnt perfectly level, but the stand is bowed where the tank will sit. I tore it apart last night and am using a big table now, and im also building it different than the first time.

Thanks for the input. I will keep you updated.

Cory

ok ...my floor is not level too i just used some 2x4 under the stand to get it at the right level...

chris

well...sigh... im not good with wood and thats why im a phone man. I cut everything down to fit my two 10s, everything was going great. I got it all put together and its pretty level and square. I put the 10 on top fits great. I moved it to the bottom, and the darn thing dont fit... i forgot to include the vertical supports and im about 3 inches to narrow.So now i dont know what to do. Any suggesttions for the sump is it nessesary or can i just hang my skimmer on the tank?

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

You can hang the skimmer on the back depending on which one you get.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

I already have a hob skimmer.

Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I can only think of two possible issues with running sumpless:

- Cosmetic: Your heater, powerheads, skimmer, hotb fuge (if any)... will all be visible...
    A tip to help reduce this... Put your heater behind the rock work or in a HOTB fuge.

- Less overall water volume. = less tank stability and more frequent water changes... But its only a 10g, so its not like you're changing out 50+ gals of water.

If you go this route, I have a couple cool DIY things to help keep it looking good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last