[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Stand questions?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Simona586 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Anthony

Default Stand questions?

So since i looked into building a new tank and its deff outta my price range i want to build a stand for my tank that is a little bit higher. The reason is because i bought from my lfs a sea life systems berlin 300 sumb and it was my first time ever buying a sump and i didnt know what a refugium was. and now i would want one in my system because from what i read its good for the tank. anyways my stand is too low to put a big enough tank tank to make a diy refugium and sump. so my questions are... do i need to get like a foam piece to put between my tank and the stand? (120gal) and i have a 55 gallon tank thats been in my garage would that be fine to put some slots of glass in and make a refugium? is there anything i need to know when im making the stand or the sump/ refugium?

CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

These may help:

TankStand ss - Stand questions?

I would add a center brace on this basic design for a 6 foot tank if thats how long your is
    diy aquarium stand 300x252 - Stand questions?

plywood - Stand questions?

First Name
    Anthony

yea that helps alot!! now do i need to have a foam piece between my tank and stand?

CR Member

you don't HAVE to have it, just make sure it's very level first, but IMO, the styrofoam helps keep the stand level and support it better.

CR Member

another option would be to use 2 small sumps next to each other, connect with a few U shaped PVC pipes and just remove air from each and it will add volume without having to build a stand.

First Name
    Anthony

photo 4 - Stand questions?

thats what im working with it takes up the whole stand! lol i have like 6 inches of space on the one side im like confused because im new to reefing and i keep reading different things that the refugium is good and other people say that its not needed to have a good tank...so i guess idk what to do

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

No you dont have to have a piece of foam in between. But it does help spread the weight out more evenly.
    As for the sump look in the diy section lots of people have built them and taken time to explain their build.
    In a nut shell- you will need three compartments drain/fuge/return. Put your skimmer in the drain compartment so this needs to be big enough to fit it. Next is your fuge, You will need two pieces of glass to make this one at the beginning and one at the end. The last compartment should have baffles (pieces of glass set anywhere from a 1/4" to an inch apart) before it to stop air bubbles getting to the return pump. The height of the last piece of glass that is put at the bottom of the tank is going to regulate how low your water level can be before flow stops. So at a minimum you will need 4 pieces of glass 5 would be better. If you goto reef central they have calculators to help find the heights of the glass so you have enough room for over flow when you shut your system down.
    Hope this all helps and here is a pic of one I designed ( in paint lol). I didnt use it this way but I am using it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Wow thats small hope you can see the details. Also get your glass cut about 1/8 of an inch less then the width of the inside of your tank. Helps alot got that info from Mike at Reef paradise.

First Name
    Anthony

okay cool thats alot im gonna be doing that soon so ill be posting pics as i go along!

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Refugiums are a good thing but you dont "need" one. It will increase food production "pods and algae" for some maybe more delicate fish down the road. feed your tangs manarin ect. without having to buy and directly add it to your tank. It also increases water volume which is good to dilute any fish waste and make a more temperature and salinity stable system. Plus it is FUN!! lol you can try different types of algae and even scape your fuge if you want too.

Oh yeah, it helps remove nutrients from your tank either by harvesting algae or the extra bacteria and critters that are in your rock and sand.
    Last edited by cg5071; 09-08-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last