[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Star Board Baffles?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Default Star Board Baffles?

I have a 100G rubbermaid sump that I need to add at least one baffle to it and I need a couple of ideas. I was thinking of using star board b/c its easy to cut, but I can't find it anywhere. They have it at home depot but its real thin and I would like a thicker piece. If anyone knows where I can buy this at or near Flint/Grand Blanc that would be great. Once I find it what is the nest way to seal it? Some type of pond foam? I'm sure I wont be able to cut it to the exact size.

Then I need to get the water out and into something else long enough to do this

Any pointers will help.

Thanks

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I've thought about this a bit as I'd like to have a rubbermaid sump eventually. Here are my thoughts...

• Plywood that is sealed... not sure of the exact sealant but I know people make large tanks out of plywood. I think they use either a marine paint or epoxy?
    • Use a second smaller rubbermaid tote set inside the sump. Sump water would spill over all four edges and essentially function as baffles.
    • Glue several sheets of star board together to achieve the thickness you desire.

As for sealing a baffle I'd go with 100% silicone.

HTH,
    Tom

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I've thought about this a bit as I'd like to have a rubbermaid sump eventually. Here are my thoughts...

• Plywood that is sealed... not sure of the exact sealant but I know people make large tanks out of plywood. I think they use either a marine paint or epoxy?
    • Use a second smaller rubbermaid tote set inside the sump. Sump water would spill over all four edges and essentially function as baffles.
    • Glue several sheets of star board together to achieve the thickness you desire.

As for sealing a baffle I'd go with 100% silicone.

HTH,
    Tom
    go find some pond liner to to seal in inside of the plywood tank. works a lot better.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    go find some pond liner to to seal in inside of the plywood tank. works a lot better.
    tell that to the successful epoxy-lined plywood tanks on RC

put me in for a vote for epoxy-sealed plywood or the second rubbermaid inside of the big one.

First Name
    Joe

I have a tote inside of the big rubbermaid that holds my DSB and fuge. That part is cool. I really just need one good baffel b/c I can't currently keep the water level constant for the skimmer. I have seen star board that is like 1/2 inch thick. If I can find that someplace its waterproof already so it seems like I could just cut it to fit and then like pond foam it in place? I'm not sure what pond foam is but I have heard other people reference it. To me the plywood is so rigid it would be hard to cut it to the right size the way the rubbermaids slope outward.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

pond foam is basically black-colored "great stuff" that doesn't dissolve.. its very sturdy once it sets, you could easily use it to hold a piece of plywood or starboard in place.

First Name
    Joe

That is what I think I need then. Any idea where I can pick that stuff up at? I don't think I've ever seen it in a store before that I know of.

It won't leach into the water and poison everything in my tank will it?

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Im fairly sure this is what you're looking for, you can get it lots of places:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=307588791

First Name
    Joe

How about that I have an ACE harware in town That solves that now I just need to find thicker star board b/c HD only has like 1/8 inches pieces. I have seen 1/2 inch pieces in someones tank before. I also have to decide where to out all of the water thats in the some while I let this dry That is my biggest concern I think now

First Name
    Scott

I ordered my full sheets of 3/8" starboard from Laird Plastics. I will be ordering 3 more sheets of it this winter for the next tank build.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last