[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

the start of my DIY skimmer

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Looks very good, but I think you are going to need a BIGGER cup.

What is the height of cone, and the neck diameter?
    you are correct! I made the cup before any thing else then change my mind on the body so I will make another.

the cone is 8 1/2" diameter on the bottom and 3 1/2 on top 21" tall
    it wont fit in my cabinet so I will be useing it on my frag / grow out tank in the basement when I get it all done, I just started this in my brain then made it, then measured sometimes that just don't work! LOL

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Having a 3.5" neck is going to limit the amount of air you can put into the skimmer. Cone skimmers are in effect "all neck" as they produce VERY little turbulence.

Also, if you haven't glued anything up yet, then I might suggest a change in the bubble plate. For a cone skimmer, if you make a bubble ring, with an area in the middle for water to come back down you will further decrease turbulence. Check out the pictures of the Warner Marine K2, and the new ATI cone type skimmer, they both use this type of bubble plate.

I am guessing that a 5" neck might be more appropriate, and allow use of a better skimmer type pump. There is a Sicce 2500 up at the shop (Reef Paradise) if you want to put your hands on one to see size etc. There are Sedra skimmer pumps and also the new Sicce that might work out as well.

I would go for an Air draw of around 1000LPH of air to make a truly effective skimmer. This would be WAY to much for the current neck diameter though, at 3.5" it would be a foam cannon.

First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Having a 3.5" neck is going to limit the amount of air you can put into the skimmer. Cone skimmers are in effect "all neck" as they produce VERY little turbulence.

Also, if you haven't glued anything up yet, then I might suggest a change in the bubble plate. For a cone skimmer, if you make a bubble ring, with an area in the middle for water to come back down you will further decrease turbulence. Check out the pictures of the Warner Marine K2, and the new ATI cone type skimmer, they both use this type of bubble plate.

I am guessing that a 5" neck might be more appropriate, and allow use of a better skimmer type pump. There is a Sicce 2500 up at the shop (Reef Paradise) if you want to put your hands on one to see size etc. There are Sedra skimmer pumps and also the new Sicce that might work out as well.

I would go for an Air draw of around 1000LPH of air to make a truly effective skimmer. This would be WAY to much for the current neck diameter though, at 3.5" it would be a foam cannon.
    thanks, lots to think about! I can always cut this one down for a 5" neck then it would fit in my display tank.
    I kind of put the cart in front of the horse but its been fun!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

^ alot to think about indeed! Take your time. cant wait to see this one happen!

By the way....I would really like to be first in line to test one out on my tank, after you of course!!!

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Yes, you could cut that down to 5" for sure, maybe even a little more then that. Did you find those bubble rings?

Werdlone - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Great build!! When looking in to pumps..the sicce psk 2500 is a good reliable pump, but there is the new bubble blaster pump that looks to have better numbers?? Can't wait to see how this one works out.

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Lookin forward to seeing this thing fired up.

First Name
    Tim

Yes, you could cut that down to 5" for sure, maybe even a little more then that. Did you find those bubble rings?
    yes I looked at them but I need a better picture to see how it works.

thanks every one!

Nice build. I'm currently working on a cone skimmer of my own. I started a thread, check it if you get a chance. How did you cut the grooves in the collection cup? Can't wait to see more.
    Last edited by gar732; 12-10-2010 at 09:29 PM.

First Name
    Tim

sorry I havent looked at this thread in a little while. I have not done anything new to it lately. all the grooves where done on a bridgeport mill. most of the stuff was done on a mill or a lathe.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last