[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Still talking about sumps...

Bookmark and Share
    mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

Default Still talking about sumps...

Okay all of you guys that have built your own sumps. tell me what you would do. my 75 CAN NOT be drilled. so how do i get a sump?

i wanted to have one that would hang on the back but if you all know of a way to get one under the tank when you can't drill it i would be very happy.

thanks guys!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

You will need an overflow (a.k.a weir box) to get water over the edge and down to the sump. They are pretty reasonable in price to buy or there are some DIY plans around to. I would highly suggest in getting the primer pump along with the overflow. AIr bubble collect in the top of the u-tube which deduces the flow in the tube. The Primer pump sucks those out so your flow remains even.

Here is a link for some:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...pr.asp?CartId=

I got mine off e-bay. Different brand, same idea though.

First Name
    Manda Wolf

so i would have that on my tank pulling water out and into another tank and all i'd need is a 600 gph pump to pull the water back into the tank, or would i need a bigger pump.

thanks for helping me!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Actually the size of the return pump will determine how much water is 'overflowed' from the display, in other words only the amount of water pumped into the tank will be taken out via the overflow (to the max rate of flow of the overflow and any plumbing restrictions). I think that makes sense...
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

in other words, to put it simply ... if you have a 700 gph overflow box, you would need a 700 gph return pump. 1500 gph out = 1500 gph return and so on.

Just for referance, I have a 75 gallon with an overflow. I use a Mag 7 as my return. Some of the return line in recycled into the sump so the pump is unrestricted. I am not sure of through put of the whole loop but I would guess is would around 5 times an hour. I kind of like the a slow/low flow since half of my sump is fuge. The trick is getting everything balanced. I wish I wish I had went bigger on the sump just for more room for equipment. When your ready to design/build the sump, give a shout. There is a lot of little tricks.

First Name
    Manda Wolf

okay... i have somewhere to go now.

i will let you know when i start to build

i just got news that a school is getting rid of their 55 gal and all the equipment... maybe i could fit a 55 under my 75??? lol
    ~Amanda~

A 55 would be an awesome sump/fuge for a 75. I was thinking of a 40 long. Same length and width just shorter.

First Name
    Manda Wolf

the sumps wouldn't be all the way full would it? it would be just half full, unless I added more top off water or somthing?
    ~Amanda~

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The best results would be keeping as much water as possible in the sump (just adding to the total water volume), however you should leave enough extra room to handle the water that will be pulled off int he event of a power failure.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.