[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sump design- feedback wanted

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Sump design- feedback wanted

I am working on designing my first sump and want feedback. The space I have to work with a closet under the stairs. The space for the sump is about 36" x 36" x 48", accessed through a 20' wide door. Nothing can have a diagonal greater than 36" if it is to be turned once in the closet. I am thinking I will utilize 2 20g Longs and 2 10g tanks. Here is the 3D models I created.

sump1 - Sump design- feedback wanted
    sump2 - Sump design- feedback wanted
    sump3 - Sump design- feedback wanted

Water from the DT flows into the right side of the middle tier by the skimmer, where it goes through a bubble trap to the pump section. The pump section has a large pump that returns water to the DT and a small pump that sends water up to the top tier for the fuge. The fuge flows to a DSB, and then back into the skimmer section. The two 10g tanks at the bottom act as extra overflow room in case something goes wrong, and a top off holding tank.

Feedback welcomed!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Great looking depiction! What did you use make it?

Have you considered using your return pump to route flow back through the fuge? It would probably save some energy, possibly reduce heat (one less pump), and simplify a your setup a little with one less piece of equipment.

Also you should be able to calculate the volume you will need for free board and build that into to your sump without needing the extra bottom tank for overflow.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Great looking depiction! What did you use make it?

Have you considered using your return pump to route flow back through the fuge? It would probably save some energy, possibly reduce heat (one less pump), and simplify a your setup a little with one less piece of equipment.

Also you should be able to calculate the volume you will need for free board and build that into to your sump without needing the extra bottom tank for overflow.
    I did the modeling with "Sweet Home 3D", which is free. I didn't create any of the objects... I just found the objects HERE, downloaded it, and imported it in to Sweet Home. Then I could resize it, move it around, etc.

Tapping off of the return pump is a good idea.. hadn't thought about that.

I agree, on the overflow tank, but I have this fear that something might go wrong that causes the entire top-off tank to pump in to the sump. With the extra overflow tank, it can keep that from causing a mess. Plus the 10g tanks are only $12.

CR Member

I've been giving it more thought and realized I don't want the skimmer down stream of the refugium and DSB. I'm going to have to rearrange things.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.

CR Member
    First Name
    Keith
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

+1 ^ With the overflow tank setup you currently are planning, you would need to pump the overflowed water back into the sump after a power outage or when you turn off the return for any reason. If you build the sump to allow for it, there is no need for the extra work getting the water back into the system!

CR Member
    First Name
    Keith
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

BTW...Thanks for the tip on Sweet Home 3D! I find Google Sketchup a little chaotic to work with, I will have to give this a try.

CR Member

OK... v1.01...

Changes:

1) Eliminated the second pump. The DT overflow now has a T and ball valve allowing me to divert a portion of unskimmed water to the refugium/DSB tank.

2) My silly extra overflow capacity tank has been eliminated as I hadn't thought about auto recovery of that water when the power comes back on.

3) The skimmer and return pump have swapped sides to clean up plumbing.

4) The pump chamber has been enlarged to increase it's overflow capacity

sumpsetupv101p1 - Sump design- feedback wanted

sumpsetupv101p2 - Sump design- feedback wanted

sumpsetupv101p3 - Sump design- feedback wanted

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

When you design your overflow and return if you get a siphon break in it, you should be able to minimize the volume of water that flows back to the sump. (You want to do this anyways so that corals don't sit out of water if they are near the top.)

CR Member

When you design your overflow and return if you get a siphon break in it, you should be able to minimize the volume of water that flows back to the sump. (You want to do this anyways so that corals don't sit out of water if they are near the top.)
    Yep... I'm just always afraid of flooding, especially with the new wood flooring about to go in. I tend to look for the double failsafe solutions. lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Yep... I'm just always afraid of flooding, especially with the new wood flooring about to go in. I tend to look for the double failsafe solutions. lol
    So your a belt and suspenders kind of guy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last