[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Thoughts for hanging LED's as a pendant style light from my celing?

Bookmark and Share
    greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Default Thoughts for hanging LED's as a pendant style light from my celing?

Hello,

I have a 120g cube that currently has a hood w/ a couple T5's and my new 6x20 LED fixture that is basicaly a black alluminum heat sync. The LED fixture is in the hood until I can figure out how to hang it. The tank is in my kitchen area so it has to look slick or th wife will freak. This means no wires visable at all She is hoping that I can basicialy hang like a pendant light that you would find from homedepot and run the wires up through the down rod into the celing and then down below the tank where the drivers ect are a but Im a little unsure about how to create that. I have a wire hanging kit but if I use that on its own there really doesn't seem to be a good way to hide the wires and that is a requirement for this setup. I also don't want to keep the hood. My tank is 30 inches deep and w/ the hood it makes it really hard to get inside w/o swimming.

Any ideas /pics of cool ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

How about using the hanging kit you already have and running a pendant tube next to one of the back wires?

Tom

greenstarfish03 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

That is along the lines that I have been thinking Tom. My wife is anti-hanging kit but I think that is just b/c she envisions stray wires hanging from the fixture so I think I can get by w/ this if I can figure a way to conceal the wires. I have a wall on the left and back of my tank w/ about an 8 inch gap between the tank and the wall on the side. If a hung the heat sync sidways that would leave about 18 inches beteen the end of the heat syn and the wall. I told my wife I could run the wires straight towards the wall and to me they would mostly be hiidden unless someone looked on the wall side of the tank and then into some sort of cable tube that I could paint wall color and run down along the side of the tank so I could get the wires under the hood. To me this seemed like a good solution, but she still through a fit. I really would just like to come up w/ something that makes everyone happy. Can anyone help me design a wireless connection to the ALC for my Reef Keeper?

On a more serious note the whole pendant thing seems like a pain to me b/c I have to run 6 tiny wires all the way up into the celing then down the wall under my tank. That being said if the wife insists then I think your idea Tom is the way to go. To me its not a big advantage over what I mentioned above, but I think my wife will like it better.

I have more LED's comming in the next couple of days to fill out my heat sync so when they arive I will rig this all up hopefully Still not sure how.

Thanks