[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tide pool Grow out Tanks

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Tide pool Grow out Tanks

I've been tossing around the idea of a gravity/tidal surge grow out system. I've never seen anything like this and think working out the logistics would be a fun challenge. And if it's possible it would cut down on electricity by only needing a small return pump.

The tanks would be 32X24X12.5(40gal.'s). Not sure the size of the sump or how I would have it configured. The drains I think would be bell siphons and drain from the 1st tank to the 2nd tank which almost immediately would fill and drain the 2nd tank to the 3rd tank which would be tied to the sump at the ground level. I might need to put a baffle in the 3rd tank closest to the sump to prevent the water level dropping in the 3rd tank while the sump's pump is filling the 1st tank. Not sure if the baffle wasn't there, if there would be a chance of the 3rd tank draining to low. Or if when the 2nd tank dumped if it might over flow the 3rd tank before the water would be able to equalize into the sump. Or if the volume of water would allow for enough water to drain from both and not drop to low in the 3rd tank making the baffle in the 3rd tank not necessary. Might be able to solve that with larger bulk heads and PVC pipe between tank 3 and the sump. Say 2, 2" bulkheads on both the 3rd tank and the sump? Or instead of the return pump being outside the sump, put it in the sump which if it was a mag drive would create heat which would heat the water. And instead of the return line coming up over the tanks rim it could go up to a ball valve up threw the bottom of the 1st tank. Anyways I threw this together it's a very crude drawing in paint to show a visual. tankidea 2 - Tide pool Grow out Tanks
    Last edited by steveperry98; 04-04-2011 at 05:36 AM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

That is a sweet idea. What's your idea for stands for the top 2?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

I was thinking like a set of big stairs and in close the sump below the "stairs" on the bottom level.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

is there a reason you dont just stack them on top of eachother and just drill the bottom so it is a straight tube into the tank below?

CR Member

I think to make it surge ur going to have multiple large 2"or3"drains in each of three upper tanks more flow = better surge. plus i would use some kinda float like a (toilet valve) so when the top tank fills the float rises and open the valve draining the upper sump making the surge. just my thoughts. Good luck on ur project.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Sara B showed something similar on both RC and R2R, using drilled tanks and tiolet floats, as have others. Google surge tanks. Sara has since removed both of her surge tanks because of the noise issue when they "flush." Just something to consider.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Using the siphon method you are using is much better than relying on float valves. I'm curious though why you are using so many tanks? You could easily create a surge just using one tank. Some people out there even create a surge using just a 5 gallon bucket, a bell siphon, and an aqualifter pump.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

I also should mention that I wouldn't worry about the 3rd tank draining too low. It actually wouldn't ever drain lower than the height of the tank the way you have it setup right now. You would need to have the surge tank above the height of the tank, or the tank will always try to equalize with the height of the DT.