[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tired of fighting power cords to turn things on/off?

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Tired of fighting power cords to turn things on/off?

Latest find on browsing through eBay, called DJ power controllers, really nothing more than an eight receptacle power strip with an illuminated switch for each outlet. I couldn't help but snag a couple to play with. I did pass on the disco ball, thinking our fish and critters would not see the humor nor be too appreciative of it.

Very handy for turning on/off powerheads during feeding times, pumps, lights, skimmers, whatever without having to fight that typical spaghetti mess of cords and power strips. Each one is rated for a max draw of 15A.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3775247762

Eventually, they be mounted in a fixed location behind a door in the new cabinet/stand but for now they are kind of setting on top of canopies of different tanks.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I've got one of those on each of my 120G tanks. An outlet died on one of them, but other than that, they're great. FWIW, I think I got them cheaper at progearwarehouse.com for those who may look for them.

Another thing is that they start to rust really fast when you put them under a tank and it's humid. For the price though, I dont' really care. Maybe if I ever replace them, I'll blast them a couple times with a spray can to get a little more protection on them.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

And here I thought I'd found something original... progear's are a bit cheaper, and they have BLUE switches! Dang it... oh well next time around I guess.

But for the price of a decent power strip they are hard to beat.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thanks SO much for posting this! I have been irritated many times shoving my arm through cords to unplug certain things for feeding or water changes... great idea!

This is an awesome idea, I used to have something similar under my old monitor...
    Public Affairs Officer
    Saltwater Addicts of Maine
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Saltwater Tanks:
    120 Gallon mixed reef
    20 Gallon frag tank