[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Top-Off Project question

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    ReefLuvR - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Top-Off Project question

I'm trying to set up a simple top-off. I plan to use a 5-10 gallon container gravity fed to a Kent float-valve in my sump. I've tried just drilling a small hole and using silicone to seal around the air-line tubing, but it still leaks. Any ideas how to better plumb this?

Thanks in advance,
    Jen

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

There should be some hardware to do the same thing(slow drip system) at your local hardware store.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Silicone will not seal with plastic for very long nor very well. Better off using a plastic cement or an epoxy. Or the hardware route, HD has lots of 1/4 OD fittings and such that should work for you if you can switch over to the same of rigid lines the RO units use instead of airline tubing. Bigger inner diameter means less likely to become clogged too.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

When I said air-line tubing, I meant RO tubing. My mistake. Wish we had a HD around here. John Menard owns Eau Claire. I haven't been able to find any fittings that would work very well.

As far as using cement or epoxy, won't that just crack if the water line moves?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Hmmmm 'Nards around us generally has a good selection of these fittings, they are generally kept separate from the other fitting for some odd reason, may have to look around a bit. Otherwise a good two part epoxy should hold up pretty well, just dope up both the inside and outside. Once you have the top off system setup is there going to be a great need to move it often? If yes then definately look into making a small bulkhead out of some fittings.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Reefluvr,i use the same gravity fed system your gonna be doing.The best way to do it is use the same type of connectors that your RO/DI uses.(the kind you just push in,forget the name)You can get them at HD,get the one with a shut-off valve with one connection for your RO tubing to float valve.The other end of the connector i believe is threaded .5" You just drill a .5" hole(slightly smaller in your top-off container/bucket about 1-2 " from bottom of bucket).The connector will thread itself into the hole in the bucket.Use sealant when threading it through.Then just push one end of the tubing into the end of the valve/connector and the other end to your float valve.You will be glad you went with the valve type(RO style)connector because it will allow you to shut off the flow when your mixing kalk and allowing it to settle before opening it back up to feed your float-vavle.If you need a pic,LMK

Awesome Dave. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Now, a trip to a town with a HD... :D

Jen

If you have trouble finding them,LMK.My LFS carries them as well and i could mail you one if you needed.

graicas Dave.

Jen

Also dont use silicon,it doesn't bond well to plastics,use a PVC type glue to seal it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last