[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

what brand of Silicone do i use?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default what brand of Silicone do i use?

i have a small leak on my sump. i wanted to know what kind of silicone to use? Do i have to use a Aquarium Silicone or will ant 100% silicone work????
    I went to Vermont for the week, When i came home my Ex had killed all my fish!

I use the kind you buy at the pet section of Wal-Mart.
    KG

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Any 100% silicon made for glass will work.GE makes 2 different types,both of which are 100%.The type for glass has a disclaimer on it stating "not recommended for aquarium use".This is the type you want to use.As for your sump,if its plastic/acrylic,silicon doesn't bond very well to those materials.There are glues designed for acrylic,i believe they're called Weld-on,i'm sure the acrylic gurus here will chime in and give you the product name.Silicon will work as a band aid repair,but make sure you scuff up the acrylic very good with sandpaper before useing it.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

As mentioned, GE Type I or Tpe II silicone is aquarium safe, some are labeled for kitchen/bat other for door/windows, but they should have the type number listed. The only thing to make sure is that they do not say they are the anti-mildew or mildew resistant type, these contain chemical agents that you do not want in your tank.

As for acrylic bonding, like davejnz mentioned, silicone will not bond to acryclic very well not for very long, Weld-on is a a chemical bonding specially designed for permanently adhearing arcylic. It can be located at your closest shop dealing with plastics (look up plastic in the yellow pages). Weld-on #16 is generally an all around good choice.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.