[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Magnetic Powerhead Holder

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default Magnetic Powerhead Holder

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...rip_holder.asp
    This seems like a really great idea... I am having trouble with suction cups failing, and I was considering getting these. However, at $25 a piece, I am having a hard time justifying the expense. I thought it might be a fairly easy DIY project but I was wondering if it would be okay to have an exposed magnet inside the tank. Would I need to cover it to prevent some kind of reaction with the saltwater?

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well, considering the mag float have some type of magnet in them varying in strengths, I don't see why not. I do agree though...make sure that the magnet is covered and sealed with aquarium sealant.

By the way girl... my feather duster was in the shape of a heart when I came home from the hospital. Cool huh? Thanks for all your well wishes also!! Stay Sweet! ...Angel :angel2:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Quote Originally Posted by Reef_Angel
    By the way girl... my feather duster was in the shape of a heart when I came home from the hospital. Cool huh?
    That is VERY cool! What a nice present for you! I'm glad you're feeling better!

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

if you are using maxi jet power heads why not just buy a mag float and super glue the power head holder to the mag float and attach the power head from there. You will be able to postion it any where you like.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Wonder if the magnets would effect the powerhead's performance if they are too close to the actual powerhead as in the maxijet mount the picture... I like the idea of using the 90* bracket for the Seios though... price is a little steep, a decent mag-float and some epoxy might be a way around it though.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Quote Originally Posted by RWalston
    why not just buy a mag float and super glue the power head holder to the mag float and attach the power head from there.
    That was my first thought... but then I got to thinking that the MagFloat wold make the powerhead stick out a little farther into the tank than I would like. I wondered about taking the magnet out of the casing, but then I'm back to covering it somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by dakar
    Wonder if the magnets would effect the powerhead's performance
    Good question... I hadn't thought of that.

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

I am using one of those power head holders. They are very nice but the magnet is on the out side of the tank and the metal sheet is o the inside of the tank. Algea free's owner lives right down the road from me and I might be able to cut you a deal if you wanted some. PM if interested. P.S. if not done right the magnet will effect the power head.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

what protects the metal from the saltwater

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

good idea but is a little steep. like Dave said ... maybe a good mag float and a little super-glu or sealant and you could DIY.

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

A ridged plastic that has been molded. They arn't that bad for price and you will be able to use the magnet on a different powerhead with out alot of work. It also supports some one IMO is a very nice guy. I know the owner of algea free very well, he is a good friend and would do anything to help anyone. He is not a big corperation at all. This is run out of his house. To me, I would rather support some one who is like that then magfloat even if it cost me an extra $4-$5. but this is just IMO.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last