[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Wiring a 660 IceCap

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Wiring a 660 IceCap

Just bought a retro for the grow out. IceCap 660 2x24 T5HO. So I'm looking at this thing and I can't figure out where the power connects?
    Im a pretty handy wrench but electrical, not so much.

Also what do I do with the wires that are not being used?
    Its set to take 4 bulbs if I ever decide to add, which is cool!

Someone throw me a bone. Please
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Just bought a retro for the grow out. IceCap 660 2x24 T5HO. So I'm looking at this thing and I can't figure out where the power connects?
    Im a pretty handy wrench but electrical, not so much.

Also what do I do with the wires that are not being used?
    Its set to take 4 bulbs if I ever decide to add, which is cool!

Someone throw me a bone. Please
    cap or tape off extra wires, the power should be the black, white, and green wires of the same connector as the lights. Think it states that on the top of the ballast as well.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
    cap or tape off extra wires, the power should be the black, white, and green wires of the same connector as the lights. Think it states that on the top of the ballast as well.
    Thanks speed, it does clearly label what each wire is and does, but how do I connect them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidgoose View Post
    Thanks for the color diagram. It did come with a black and white one.
    What I don't understand is how to connect the wires. Just jam them in the holes. There are no wire nuts or anyway to wrap them around anything.
    Same thing with the power supply.

Thanks for the help guys, but Im going to need a bit more specific help so I don't blow stuff up or burn stuff out.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

I hate wiring ice caps. Especially when running 4 bulbs on one. I always seem to have one wire that is no connected right in an end cap and it takes me forever to find it.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

First Name
    Rob

Got it figured out guys!!!! Thanks!

First Name
    Rob

Sometimes I error on the side of caution too much. Geesh this was easy. I was looking at it thinking I just had to shove the power supply into the ballast on the side with the small white plug interface. Whats that for anyway? Before I actually looked and counted all the wires to see that is how the power supply was connected.

Super easy, and actually a lot of fun to wire and make. Maybe Ill post some pics later.

First Name
    Rob

Still need to finish the acrylic splash guard for the ballast and all wires! Ran out of acrylic.
    IMG 0002 - Wiring a 660 IceCap

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

are you using water proof end caps or just the tombstone style if the water proof ones then I would forgo the acrylic shield as you will loose light into the tank

I know it always seems daunting to wire things when you are not used to it but it all ends up so much simpler then you make it out to be

also what are you using for the reflectors are they the ice cap ones ???

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy695 View Post
    are you using water proof end caps or just the tombstone style if the water proof ones then I would forgo the acrylic shield as you will loose light into the tank

I know it always seems daunting to wire things when you are not used to it but it all ends up so much simpler then you make it out to be

also what are you using for the reflectors are they the ice cap ones ???

Water proof end caps.

Clear mesh top for wrasse.

Acrylic is to make a working surface on top protecting the wires.

Yes, Ice cap reflectors.

And yes it was way easier and more fun than I expected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last