[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

~670 Gallon Acrylic (Complete Setup)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Default ~670 Gallon Acrylic (Complete Setup)

Will Ship: Yes
    Category: Tank
    Price: 18000
    Condition: Used
    I work for a large heavy hauling company in Milwaukee and we were recently hired to remove a very large acrylic tank from a medical office. It's been sitting in our warehouse since July and we finally received permission to sell it as they don't want to continue paying storage fees. I'd like to sell this as a complete package if at all possible and figured this is a good spot to do it as we have never dealt in something like this before but being a reefer I know there's some out there who always wanted a huge tank.

The tank is roughly 12' x 3' x 3' with 1.5" acrylic walls, which I calc'd out to be roughly 670 gallons. It appears to me, based on the equipment, that it was setup as a FO or possibly a FOWLR tank; I'm leaning towards FO as there was no LR shipped with it to our facility but maybe he sold that off with the livestock.

The entire package includes the tank and the following:
    Stand with attached working platform.
    Nova Wet/Dry Sump (~150 Gallon, 2' x 2' x 5')
    5 Large Coral Pillars in tank (Some drilled/screened for overflows. Standpipes are laying down in tank)
    2 Baldor 1/4HP Pumps & associated PVC plumbing
    Koldwave Chiller with Arctica controller
    UV sterilizer
    Two 40" tall Deltec skimmers (one might be a reactor, it's in a tub and I haven't pulled it out to look).
    2 hanging lighting fixtures with cooling fans
    Spectrapure RO/DI w/ TDS meter
    Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter
    3 Rubbermaid tubs full of miscellaneous stuff (including some coral rubble pieces, cleaning supplies, and 1 or 2 of the tubs are plumbed with ATO float valves for using them as salt water mixing vats)
    Small plastic utility sink.
    Minor cleaning items (long handle squeegee, etc)
    There's probably minor sundry items that I didn't notice in the tubs and stand too.

As I didn't design the system or ever interact with it, I don't know much about the individual pieces (model numbers, etc) unless they're clearly marked. My understanding is that it was in good working order upon disassembly.

Pictures are here.

As we are machinery movers we can load it up for the buyer for free if they either come with a large trailer or hire someone to haul it. We also could be hired to haul it ourselves, but honestly we're more expensive in that regard than most carriers for this type of object.

If you'd like more information/pictures feel free to post a request here and I'll try to accommodate. The tank is also viewable upon request during the day (roughly 8AM - 3PM), we're located about a mile and a half from Miller Park for those of you who are near Milwaukee.

If you'd like to see a video with narration provided by yours truly (we spared no expense) see this:

Please bear in mind that when fully loaded this behemoth will weigh in at over 4.25 ton, excluding water in the piping and any accessories you keep near the stand.

My boss is will to negotiate pricing if you come in with a reasonable offer. Before you ask what's "reasonable", I didn't get a direct answer out of him, but a little digging online shows a new tank this size with overflows, metal stand (without the working platform like this one has), etc etc runs in the ballpark of 13-15k plus shipping. The sump you can get from glasscages (ignoring quality, just using them for a rough price) for $1395 plus shipping. So figure that, plus the RO/DI, skimmer. lighting, chiller, pumps, all the other equipment listed, etc and you're probably sitting around 20-24k new for the whole package delivered. So, mark it down since it's used equipment and you can probably make a reasonable approach. I listed this as $18,000 just to be in the ballpark.

*Update* Asking price now $13000. Still willing to negotiate.
    Last edited by adalius; 04-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Awesome tank! I hope Troy buys it!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

This sounds like a great deal, however deals are abundant right now, and big tanks are a hard sale.

I just bought a 560g acrylic very similar to this one for a fraction of the cost (and it was a small fraction) $18k is a high ballpark in my opinion. Please understand, I am not saying that isn't what it is worth. I am simply saying in the current state of our market, it may be a hard sale.

If you part everything out, I would estimate getting around $11k to $13k. I think you would be hard pressed to get $10k selling it as a whole unit. Your odds would be much better if you spent the time and money to clean the tank and equipment. You may very well be able to get what you are asking, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

I think whoever gets this tank is going to be a happy camper!

If you look around, Used tanks and equipment are fetching around 50% of the original value. With that being the case, I think your boss is going to be a very happy man when he gets it sold!

ReefWerks - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jonathan

Thats in my neck of the woods...Hmm...18K is a big push, we recently just gutted a 525g build that was only 2 years old and were only able to get 13K(barely)...Parting out is best...shes a beast...

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Awesome tank! I hope Troy buys it!
    Lol, my floor wouldn't support it. Didn't you say you were looking for a 10ft tank Larry? That's pretty close and if you're not buying that property, you don't have an excuse not to pick this up. You did say you wanted to start selling frags and i'm sure you could fit one or two in that beast!

Gl with the sale, it would be an awesome addition to a restaurant or business for sure.

dentdominator - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    A

That would make one heck of a frag tank......

rcombs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rickie

once you get a tank, you always seem to want a bigger one cause you run out of room. at least it would keep larry busy for awhile. he told me he was gonna buy a shark tank and he wants this one.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lol I would like the tank but 18k is a lot of money. And that would be dipping into my new truck fund. This would make a killer frag tank and a long time to fill. Rcombs this is a investment for you.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Quote Originally Posted by dentdominator View Post
    That would make one heck of a frag tank......
    Na, it's a little big for a frag tank, I'll take it and use it for my display and my little 560g can be the frag tank...

Does your boss have any interest in classic cars? I have a 1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille 62 series

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by DereksReef View Post
    This sounds like a great deal, however deals are abundant right now, and big tanks are a hard sale.

I just bought a 560g acrylic very similar to this one for a fraction of the cost (and it was a small fraction) $18k is a high ballpark in my opinion. Please understand, I am not saying that isn't what it is worth. I am simply saying in the current state of our market, it may be a hard sale.

If you part everything out, I would estimate getting around $11k to $13k. I think you would be hard pressed to get $10k selling it as a whole unit. Your odds would be much better if you spent the time and money to clean the tank and equipment. You may very well be able to get what you are asking, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

I think whoever gets this tank is going to be a happy camper!

If you look around, Used tanks and equipment are fetching around 50% of the original value. With that being the case, I think your boss is going to be a very happy man when he gets it sold!

$18k is just what I posted as a rough number. As I said in the post he's more than willing to negotiate the price if someone has a reasonable offer. I just roughed it out at 75% of new because it won't let you post without a number. Cleaning it isn't going to happen at this point as we're way more than swamped at work and it's not costing us anything to just sit there until it finds a buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefWerks View Post
    Thats in my neck of the woods...Hmm...18K is a big push, we recently just gutted a 525g build that was only 2 years old and were only able to get 13K(barely)...Parting out is best...shes a beast.
    Yes, it would be financially more feasible to part it out but I don't want to end up stuck with the tank and nothing that goes with it or a ton of parts and no tank, plus I really don't have time to sit here and individually sell all the parts. As stated above, we're swamped at work right now and selling this thing is in addition to my normal job duties. Once they find out you have a hobby (like reefing) you get stuck with anything associated to it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Lol I would like the tank but 18k is a lot of money. And that would be dipping into my new truck fund. This would make a killer frag tank and a long time to fill. Rcombs this is a investment for you.
    Make an offer man! You never know what he's willing to do for pricing. The $18k was just me putting up a ballpark number so the system would let me post it.

Quote Originally Posted by DereksReef View Post
    Na, it's a little big for a frag tank, I'll take it and use it for my display and my little 560g can be the frag tank...

Does your boss have any interest in classic cars? I have a 1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille 62 series
    Negative, sir. We just sold two Corvettes, a 1971 and a 1960 as it is, and this is a corporation so the boss doesn't get to take the proceeds and drive around with them anyway. Or if he did he better split with the minority share holders (ahem, me).

But yea, to sum up, the $18,000 was put up just to get a number in here so it would let me post. It's just something I roughed out on the fly and doesn't mean it has to go for that amount. Again, he's *willing to negotiate* as long as you don't come in with some insulting number. If you're realistic about what it's worth and what you're willing to pay I think a deal can be worked out. Especially if you're willing to pay before 12/31 so we can get it on the books this year. I'm not going to part it out unless I absolutely have no other choice and having only had it up for sale for 2 weeks we're not there yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last