[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

FS: Blue LED's (DIY moonlights)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Lightbulb FS: Blue LED's (DIY moonlights)

I was running short on Blue LEDs, and my vendor was running a good deal on a large lots, so I ordered 500 10Kmcd 5mm LEDs . I only use around 150 a year (long story....), so we figured we could pass along a great deal to our members who want to DIY their own moonlights (or whatever).

So here's the deal;
    lot of 10 LEDs = $2.50 (10 510 ohm 1/4watt resistors included)
    lot of 20 LEDs = $4.00 (20 510 ohm 1/4watt resistors included)
    Throw in an extra buck for padded envelope and USPS postage.

PM me for purchase/paypal info. Any other questions will be entertained on this thread or via PM.

Note: the included 1/4W resistors were thrown in as part of a package deal and will be passed along, for a 12V circuit they will work, however the resistors are dissipating over 240mW, very close to the max rating of 250mW. No guarantees on how long they will work in this configuration. I ran a couple for a few hours at 12V and the resistors got rather warm, so 1/2W would be better suited for 12V circuits. Sound Greek? No worries... read on.

As always, I'll happily post wiring diagrams / schematics / instructions requested, just provide me with the number of LEDs and the supply voltage, most any wallwart (AC/DC adapter) ie.. an old cell phone charger, game adapter, will drive a large number of them. Very simple to solder them up and save a bundle off retail moonlight prices. In my setups each LED illuminates approximately an 8-9" circle on the sandbed at 20" depth very nicely.

The specs on these 5mm LEDs
    Forward Voltage; 3.2 - 3.4VDC
    Forward current; 20 - 25mA
    Average Wavelength; 465nm
    Average Intensity at 25mA; 10,000mcd @ 25 degree viewing angle

Compare to Radio-shack at $4.29 each!!! (for only 1/4 of the brightness)
    Our cost was $.23 each, if you do the math the only one making a profit is the post office... so support your Federal Gov't... they need all the help they can get!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Dave

Still got hundreds of these left...

though 40 are going into my new flashlight.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

"Compare to Radio-shack at $4.29 each!!! (for only 1/4 of the brightness)
    Our cost was $.23 each, if you do the math the only one making a profit is the post office... so support your Federal Gov't... they need all the help they can get!"

Maybe they can hire people who don't go postal and shoot up the place.:D
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

hold me a lot of 20 Dave ?? i gotta see what my paypal looks like when i get a chance.

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bobby@funkyreef.com
    hold me a lot of 20 Dave ?? i gotta see what my paypal looks like when i get a chance.
    You got it.

segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I'll take 40.....paypal work?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

First Name
    Dave

But of course (PM on its way).

how many of these would it take to effectively "mo0nlight" a 75gal aquarium? I woudl be very happy to take some of these off your hands.

Plus, I LOVE diy projects!!

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Ill take $30 dollars worth, or whatever you can spare for that ammount.

ygpm

I have Pay Pal
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Gonna try and make a full LED hood for my 34g tank, any info on where I would be able to get daylight LEDs' ?
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last