[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Porous Ceramic Filter Blocks (for Sump, Fuge, Sandbed)

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Porous Ceramic Filter Blocks (for Sump, Fuge, Sandbed)

Will Ship: Yes
    Category: Filtration
    Price: 40.00
    Condition: New
    I've got four unused filter blocks. I believe they are a ceramic type material. I can't recall the manufacturer's name, but these blocks are extremely porous and designed to provide large amounts of surface area for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria in your reef.

I'm currently using them in my reef under the shallow sand bed to provide a stable base and simulate a deeper sand bed without actually having a deep sand bed. You could also plop them in your sump or refugium to provide additional surface area for bacteria to colonize.

These are about 4-inches thick, which would be thick enough to support both aerobic and anaerobic colonies. Thinner filtration blocks don't have enough area for the anaerobic bacteria to colonize on the inside. Anaerobic bacteria reduce nitrates in your system.

They are 12x12-inches. My guess is they weight 2-3 pounds each so they are pretty light.

I noticed that one is broken in half which would be an easy repair. I also noticed that the others are developing a similar crack. This would not impact performance.

I'm asking $10 each, or if you want all four $30. I can ship at buyers expense or deliver them to the Michigan Coral Expo on January 27.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 01-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

I'd take one at the Lansing swap if you bring them.

buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

how do these hold up? do they fall apart over time?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I guess I'm not sure. The one I have under my sand bed looked okay last I saw it.

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I've got four unused filter blocks. I believe they are a ceramic type material. I can't recall the manufacturer's name, but these blocks are extremely porous and designed to provide large amounts of surface area for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria in your reef.

I'm currently using them in my reef under the shallow sand bed to provide a stable base and simulate a deeper sand bed without actually having a deep sand bed. You could also plop them in your sump or refugium to provide additional surface area for bacteria to colonize.

These are about 4-inches thick, which would be thick enough to support both aerobic and anaerobic colonies. Thinner filtration blocks don't have enough area for the anaerobic bacteria to colonize on the inside. Anaerobic bacteria reduce nitrates in your system.

They are 12x12-inches. My guess is they weight 2-3 pounds each so they are pretty light.

I noticed that one is broken in half which would be an easy repair. I also noticed that the others are developing a similar crack. This would not impact performance.

I'm asking $10 each, or if you want all four $30. I can ship at buyers expense or deliver them to the Michigan Coral Expo on January 27.
    do you still have these?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have two of them here.