[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Finally, a Shark With a Laser

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Finally, a Shark With a Laser

@CalmSeasQuest can appreciate this one!

Marine biologist-cum-TV personality Luke Tipple attached a 50-milliwatt green laser to a lemon shark off the coast of the Bahamas in late April. The escapade was sponsored by Wicked Lasers, a consumer-focused laser manufacturer based in Hong Kong that produces some of the most brilliant -- and potentially dangerous -- handheld lasers in the world.

"This was definitely a world first," Tipple told Wired. "Initially, I told them no. I thought it was a frivolous stunt. But then I considered that it would give us an opportunity to test our clips and attachments, and whatever is attached to that clip, I really don't care. It was a low-powered laser that couldn't be dangerous to anyone, and there's actually useful applications in having a laser attached to the animal."

[ame=http://youtu.be/-v7k6-eEBrk]Real Life Sharks with Wicked Laser Beams - YouTube[/ame]

Tipple said the experiment was instructive in a number of ways. For starters, he was able to further test his clamping apparatus, which is typically used for traditional data-acquisition equipment.

He also wanted to verify anecdotal evidence that sharks avoid laser energy of specific spectrums and wavelengths. Curiously, at least with the Wicked Lasers model, he found the opposite to be true: "Although further testing is necessary, time and time again, sharks were actually attracted to the laser beam," he said.

Finally, he said the experiment was helpful in measuring a shark's velocity and trajectory in real time. "We were able to see how their body positioning relates to a target," he said. "You can get a very clear description, via the laser, of what the shark's body is doing."

Wicked Lasers supplied Tipple with the lowest-powered version of its S3 Krypton green laser. Where a simple laser pointer might generate a beam measuring about 2mW in power, the shark-deployed model, operating on its low-power setting, emitted a beam in the neighborhood of 50mW. This isn't a beam that can be safely shined in anyone's eye, but it's nowhere near as dangerous as the 1-watt Krypton model Gadget Lab tested in October 2011.

Tipple says the laser was attached to a lemon shark's dorsal fin via a "non-invasive clamp" applied by a diver to ensure correct positioning. Tipple says he chose a lemon shark -- Negaprion brevirostris -- for its "predictable and relatively docile swimming behavior during the day, ease of access in shallow water, and size of the dorsal fin."

In other words, the shark was easily corralled and size-appropriate, and probably wouldn't stray very far during the stunt. And, indeed, Tipple's team was able to retrieve the host shark by the end of the experiment, and remove the clamp.

"The clamp has specially designed gel pads on the inside of its jaws that create a tactile surface interaction with the dermal denticles of the sharks skin, so basically it doesn't move," Tipple says. "Zinc elements of the spring device within the clamp are designed to corrode and would lessen the grip of the clamp within a week. In around a month, the spring would be rendered useless, causing the clamp to simply fall off."

(excerpted from Wired Magazine.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 05-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I've been waiting for this to pop up - another wave of "sharks with friggin laser beams attached to their head" quips.

This is another media stunt by Wicked Lasers. Anyone considering a laser should avoid them like the plague.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

What the duece!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Tags for this Article