[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mysterious Marine Monster Spotted in Video

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Mysterious Marine Monster Spotted in Video

A strange creature filmed by underwater drillers in the deep ocean on April 25 has sparked intrigue and controversy on the Internet. Theories about the mysterious animal range from a jellyfish to an unknown marine version of the Loch Ness monster to a whale placenta.

There are a few clues to this creature's identity. First, it should be noted that (contrary to some sensational news headlines) the object isn't really a "blob" at all, but instead composed of what appears to be a fairly thin membrane. It more closely resembles a satin bed sheet than a blobby monster.

This suggests that the animal has no skeleton and little or no musculature; whatever it is, it's not a big, strong monster but likely something fairly fragile.

It also has no obvious mouth or sensory organs. Second, it moves very little (if at all) under its own power; the form mostly moves along with the current (and the waves created by the remotely operated vehicle mounted to the camera).

[ame=http://youtu.be/-E-8_wDgN7c]Cascade Creature - YouTube[/ame]

Several experts are pretty sure they know what it is. According to one Web site, "Southern Cross University marine biology lecturer Dr. Daniel Bucher told ninemsn the giveaway was its sex organs. 'In last the 30 seconds or so you start to see more of the structure, these pendulous tubes with four or five whitish structures and some branching between them, which look to me like the gonads of a jellyfish,' Dr. Bucher said. 'I have no idea what species it would be, but if I had to say it would be a very unusual shape deep sea jellyfish.'"

The favored candidate for the species is Deepstaria enigmatica, a poorly understood and rarely seen specimen found in deep water. According to the Marine Species Identification Portal, the Deepstaria enigmatica has a bell (top canopy membrane) that is "remarkably thin, broad, delicate, a rather flat inverted bowl when relaxed" and reaches about 60 centimeters (2 feet) in diameter.

While the creature in the video appears much larger than 2 feet, it could be an unusually large specimen -- or it could simply mean that the very few specimens found so far were unusually small. Whatever it is -- Deepstaria enigmatica, unknown monster or something else -- the animal is long gone, and the mystery will remain.

via Discovery News
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Amazing what you can stumble across hanging out five thousand feet below the surface of the ocean.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

For sure!

I never would have thought I would typed the phrase "gonads of a jellyfish" on captivereefs until this morning.

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    That things nuts
    Yup that's another term for gonads alright.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sweet is my tank big enough?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

That was cool

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow! Pretty awesome video! Thanks Jim

There's nothing like being a Reefer!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

That was weird.... another reason why I don't skinny dip in the middle of the ocean at 200' down...