[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Niger Triggerfish- Odonus niger

Bookmark and Share
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Niger Triggerfish- Odonus niger

I figured we could kick things off with one of my favorite fish. They are often purchased very small, around 2-inches, but are able to reach a foot in size. These fish need plenty of swimming room, and have a tendency in the wild to school. Would not recommend one for a tank less than 60 gallons to start with a small one, and an even larger for keeping a full grown fish. These fish can grow very rapidly with proper care.

The Niger trigger can come in a number of different colors and shades. They can also change their colors daily. Most common you will find them with a black/purple/blue body, with a yellow pattern on the face/jaw and can get blue/purple highlights and streamers on the fins. Commonly called "Red tooth trigger" because of their red fangs/teeth.

The Niger trigger fish is for the most part a carnivore, but will at times feed on vegetable matter. Predominately they feed on crustaceans and shrimp. Some shelled foods are necessary to help wear down their teeth, that don't stop growing.

Among trigger fish, the Niger is one of the more timid varieties, but don't let this description fool you- it is still a trigger! There is always a chance that they will attack new tank mates, along with pre-existing ones. It is a coin toss with these fish- could go either way. On the norm, they do best as a last fish to add to a tank and are most prone to attack any new tank members, especially when established in a tank. If fed adequately, it has been common to be able to keep these fish with shrimp, crabs and snails- but again, try at own risk- no guarantees.

As far as reef-safeness goes, the Niger isn't a definite do or a do not add to a reef. There are a few triggers that are relatively safe, and others are are definitely not safe. The Niger seems to fall into the in between category, again- at your own risk.

These fish are commonly collected in Fiji and Tahiti for the aquarium hobby.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-12-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Fishgeek88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

Ive had a few nigers in the past and present. My current one is about 4" and has started growing the streamers. In my experience it is a very easy going trigger. My current one is quite timid and hides a lot my past nigers have always been very outgoing. Very easy to keep species that adds a lot of activity to the tank...affordable too.

Fishgeek88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

No one else has nigers?

First Name
    Chris

I am thinking about getting another soon.

First Name
    Chris

Hardy as any Damselfish, beautiful as any Angelfish.....And such personalities.

I had one, in the past...Only thing made him/her not reef safe-

Liked to re-arange any sps frag it could carry- literally carry them across the tank, just to drop them.

I have found them to enjoy empty large Conch shells as homes, They will back right into one and curl up for the night and thouroughly enjoy anything fresh off/on the half-shell when offered.