[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Six Line Wrasse

Bookmark and Share
    igot2gats - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff

Default Six Line Wrasse

Looking for a fish with bright and dazzling colors to add to your tank? Look no further than the Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus Hexataenia). Also called the Sixline, Sixstripe, and Pyjama Wrasse in the reefing community. Not to be confused with the Four Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus Tetrataenia), this fish not only provides color, but lots of personality and mobility.

The Sixline has a redish-orangeish body with six bold blue horizontal lines across its body. This fish comes from the Indo-Pacific waters and lives near coral branches, close to the edge of the reef in the wild. Males are typically larger than their female counterparts, and brighten up in color when they are ready to breed in the wild. Breeding in captivity has not yet been documented. Young juvenile Sixlines are all females when they are born, but some turn to male when they get older.

An easy feeder and carnivorous, this fish will eat almost anything you provide: frozen mysis / brine / krill, or even dry foods such as flakes and pellets. They love to eat, so make sure that they don't take all the food you provide, and that your other inhabitants are able to get some food as well. In between feedings, the Sixline will graze on your live rock looking for any tiny crustaceans for a snack. They can live up anywhere from 5 to 10 years and grow up to 4 inches long.

You should have no problem locating the Six Line while your daytime lights are on, as they are great swimmers and love any and all attention you will give them. When the lights are off, they may wedge themselves in a tight hiding spot, or under the substrate.*

These wrasses are not only quick, but love to jump if given the opportunity. A closed top to your tank will be necessary if you wish to have this fish in your tank. Although not necessary, these fish love to swim around, under and over live rock. If you have any live rock arches, caves or other hiding spots in your tank your Six Line Wrasse will thank you greatly as they love to be detectives and 'investigate' all areas of your reef.

This fish is semi-aggressive, so adding it as one of your last inhabitants would be a wise move on your part, not allowing it to establish any dominance and/or territory in your reef. *Depending on the size of your reef, you may also want to consider not adding it if you have other wrasses in your tank, as they may not get along. Again, the size of your reef is the deciding factor...The bigger the tank, the less chance of this happening.

And now the loaded question: reef safe? Yes. Let's break that down a bit. I personally have not had any problems with my previous Sixline and corals (SPS & LPS / Softies). However, the only situation that I have experienced is when they are not fed on a regular basis...They may or will nip at any shrimp you have in your tank. I had a Cleaner Shrimp at the time. I did not have any scenarios of my Sixline going after any snails or crabs.

The six line wrasse is an affordable, easy maintenance fish that has bright colors, and loves to swim and show off in your tank.

[attach]4515[/attach]
    [attach]4516[/attach]
    [attach]4517[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Thanks for the great article Jeff!

...Not sure I'm ready to add a six line again...but they are a neat looking fish!

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Very nice write up Jeff, thank you!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Bella127 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pete
    Awards Fantasy Football Champion - 2012 Fantasy Football League Champ Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Yes this is very well put together .

My exp with the sixline started off great, until he got bigger and ran out all new wrasses I introduced to the tank . He ended up in jail (sumP)

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great write up man!!!

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

i have to say the eyes are my favorite part of this fish. they have those 2 white bars and the eyes seem to look everywhere. these fish are like little dogs and love to swim through your fingers when you put your hands in. my previous one i had a little trouble with it and poccilipora. for some reason it liked the taste so i had to get rid of him . possibly one of the worst decisions ive made .

CR Member
    First Name
    Marc

Great write up!

I have been putting together a small fish list for my newly set up 29 gal Biocube, which is my first serious coral tank, and I believe I will add a Sixline ans they have much color and sound like a lot of fun.
    Where to fish who are down on their luck live?
    SQUID ROW!

igot2gats - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff

Thanks everyone. Also, big props to Jim for collecting the awesome photos.